Gs400- 90,000 Mi. Mainteniance

Lex is due for 90,000 mi mainteniance. I found a new garage that mainly works on Mercedes,BMW'S, and Lexus from time to time. they ckeck out ok with the BBBand several local grading co's. there shop is clean and looks efficient. what they have told me upfront is that they will only use genuine Lexus parts. they intend to replace the timimg belt -approx 46.00, serpentine belt, 54.oo water pump,124.00 and change out the spark plugs with the Denso Iridium tips approx 14.00 ea. x 8 also cam seals and gaskets. there price including labor woud be approx $1,028.00. they will have the car for 11/2 days. I have had the Gs since 37.00 mi. and have had no problems and maintenace done by Lexus dealer. the 90,000 mi requires more so I am trying to decide between dealer and this independent shop. I haven't called the dealer for his pricing for the work, I was just told it could be 40-50 % higher. sorry for the long post but wanted to give enough info to get some feedback from people who also might have had this kind of decision. if the dealer is the only way to go tell me,I only want the best for my baby, but if I can save some bucks to give her those nice new shoes she's been wanting, then we both are happy. any replies greatly appreciated

Don't do it! First, you really should also have the timing belt tensioner pulley and idler pulley replaced and the timing belt tensioner. Second, I’m not sure how easy it is to do the cam seal since you have the VVT-i on your engine (I hope they're familiar with removing it). Third, Denso Iridium plugs are not the best choice (they are made for pure performance and not extended service) you need to go with the OEM specified Denso or NGK plug (your owners manual calls them out). Check with the dealer because I don't think your saving that much money plus you run the risk of having them mess something up plus you don't get a loaner car to drive.

Don't do it! First, you really should also have the timing belt tensioner pulley and idler pulley replaced and the timing belt tensioner. Second, I’m not sure how easy it is to do the cam seal since you have the VVT-i on your engine (I hope they're familiar with removing it). Third, Denso Iridium plugs are not the best choice (they are made for pure performance and not extended service) you need to go with the OEM specified Denso or NGK plug (your owners manual calls them out). Check with the dealer because I don't think your saving that much money plus you run the risk of having them mess something up plus you don't get a loaner car to drive.

I requested they use the Iridium plugs because the owners manual says to use only the Iridium. is there something else?

Denso Iridium usually refers to the high end performance Denso plug (IK20 or IK16) which are not designed for 60K miles service (I think only 30K miles). The OEM plugs are made by Denso and do have Iridium however they have a different design and are made to last (slightly different design). The ones you need are Denso part #SK20R11 or NGK #IFR6T11 (both are equally good).

Denso Iridium usually refers to the high end performance Denso plug (IK20 or IK16) which are not designed for 60K miles service (I think only 30K miles). The OEM plugs are made by Denso and do have Iridium however they have a different design and are made to last (slightly different design). The ones you need are Denso part #SK20R11 or NGK #IFR6T11 (both are equally good).

Thanks for the information,and the part nos.

Mine is due as well, and I called two Lexus dealers in the Phoenix area (including the suburbs). All I asked was a quote for the 90k service for my '98 GS400. To my surprise, I was quoted $950.00 by one dealership, and $1406.33 by the other!

Thanks guy's for all the info. I called the only Lexus dealer intown, and they quoted 1,050.00 for the 90,000 mi service. this does not include the water pump but will check and advise. they also flush the tranny and rear diff. change oil,bleed brakes,check brakes and flush and replace coolant. replace air and cabin filters. plus free loaner car. I decided to go with the dealer for thier knowledge and customer service. the pricing seemed very competitive with the independents. again thanks

:cheers:

Thanks guy's for all the info. I called the only Lexus dealer intown, and they quoted 1,050.00 for the 90,000 mi service. this does not include the water pump but will check and advise. they also flush the tranny and rear diff. change oil,bleed brakes,check brakes and flush and replace coolant. replace air and cabin filters.  plus free loaner car. I decided to go with the dealer for thier knowledge and customer service. the pricing seemed very competitive with the independents. again thanks

:cheers:

You are all nuts! Here is my reply to another 90k service post I just bought a used GS400 with 84,000 and had all the things you mentioned done including ballancing and rotating the tires and tightening up a few things making noise before I bought the car. I got new platinum spark plugs in addition. They did it in a day so no loaner car and no free floor mats.

But it cost me $380.

It was done by some nice mexican men at a shop, no latte, no flat screen tv, no free donuts, but hey I can visit the Lexus dealership and steal all that stuff anyday.

Man don't you realize most dealerships even nice friendly Lexus ones are rip-offs, don't feed the beast! I mean I have no mechanical ability whatsoever, but this stuff isn't rocket science, anyone with experience can work on these Lexus GS cars. I bet the Toyota dealership is even cheaper if you must go to a dealership.

• 2 weeks later...
If i were you i would check toyota. They make the cars.

I have only gone to the LEXUS stealer once for warranty work at no cost to me. I always go to the same toyota dealership, same mechanic for any work that I don't have the tools/time/knowledge to do = less $ for labor 99% of the time I purchase the parts beforehand so I just pay labor. I deal with the same service mgr. and always have there top tech [#409 Michael Alhers] work on my cars. I never let anyone else touch the cars. There is a longstanding trust and relationship that is priceless in my eyes.