Gs/is 2006

I can't believe how similar these 2 cars are. Its very hard to tell them apart. Tail lights look similar and except for the 2 DRL in the front of the 06 GS, the front even looks the same.

come on lexus engineers, I know you could have come up with a better/diff design!

why would you make the IS look like the GS....:chairshot:

they designed them like this on purpose. kinda of a big brother little brother thing. They arent the same in the front, the headlights are different. and as far as going with a better design...i think they both look GREAT!

Lower cost of production (same basic car, albeit shortened) + same or higher MSRP + higher demand for updated design = MUCH higher profit margin. Simple economics. GM is actually trying to design a basic frame/integrated fuel cell that will be shared among all GM models. This would dramatically reduce production costs...but can you imagine the cost of "replacement" if you puncture your "fuel cell"?!

We worked with GM on rupture resistant fuel cells in the earl 1980's. It was a quite workable design and process. Cost was about $5 more than a standard steel gas tank. GM never adopted it for production though.

As for the GS/IS appearance, that's L Finesse. I like it on the IS better than the GS as it just looks better on the smaller car.