Lexus Telling Me They Can't Make Me A Key?

hatrost

I just purchased a 2001 Lexus RX300 from a Fords Dealer. They only had 1 key which turns out to be the valet key. (cranks car and opens door)

I went to my nearest Lexus dealer in Memphis, TN to have them make me another key. They told me that without 1 of the master keys they can not make me a key that will crank the car, it will only open the doors.

I am not used to having cars with this type of key, I can't believe Lexus would have such a solution where if a customer looses both master keys then they can not make another key from the valet key.

They are telling me I have to buy another computer for $2000 and 2 new keys for $200 a piece.

Can anybody tell me if this is correct, it just doesn't seem right to me, I think they just want me to buy another computer.

That does seem ridiculous. However, they may have you where they want you. It seems like a brilliant scheme to rip you off. I tend to believe that certain dealers are shady even if touting the Lexus name.

Have you tried calling another Lexus dealer? Try calling one out of state or having no ties to your neighborhood Lexus dealer. Have you contacted Lexus directly posing as a Lexus dealer?

If what you encountered is the Lexus policy, then you are screwed and will have to either comply, or settle with using just the valet key.

Lexus does have advanced security measures for their cars and make getting duplicate keys difficult, so it would not surprise me if this is their policy. I had to pay about $50 for an extra ES250 key at a dealer, but I had possession of an original.

When I bought my 2000RX from a Cadillac dealer it had only 1 master key I told them I wanted them to get me another one as part of the deal. They had me order it from the lexus dealer and they paid for it.

Jeff

If the dealership didn't tell you that it did not have a master key, then they should pay to replace the ECM and program you two new keys. My guess is at some point they told you that it didn't have any master keys though, in which case you're SOL.

I had the same situation when I bout RX330 from the auction.

The firs words from the dealer was the same “I have to buy another computer for $1800 and 2 new keys for $236 a piece” :cries:

After long argues :chairshot: finale get a price $236 Key + $98 Reset computer (they can do it) :geek:

The locksmith store cana lso do the same job for $250 I was afraid to do it with them.

I had the same situation when I bout RX330 from the auction.

The firs words from the dealer was the same “I have to buy another computer for $1800 and 2 new keys for $236 a piece”:cries:

After long argues :chairshot:  finale get a price $236 Key + $98 Reset computer (they can do it)  :geek:

The locksmith store cana lso  do the same job for $250 I was afraid to do it with them.

Man, I'm glad you guys informed me about this issue because my wife only has one key left for her RX. I ordered an uncut key off eBay for $60.00 and it comes with programing instructions. I guess all I will have to do is find someone to cut it for me???