Service

:cries: Hope this is the right place to post. I have a ES 300 year 2000.

The car will not idle without cutting off. It starts with no problem, but will not stay until its been driven a while. Does the car need a tune up ? Spark plugs? Fuel filter? Fuel injector?

help.

Cynthia

:cries: Hope this is the right place to post.  I have a ES 300  year 2000.

The car will not idle without cutting off. It starts with no problem, but will not stay until its been driven a while.  Does the car need a tune up ? Spark plugs? Fuel filter? Fuel injector?

help.

Cynthia

I had two issues like this on my 98. Plugged MAF (died and would not start) and bad EGR (replaced); car would start but car would go down to 300 rpms and then up to 600, repeat and most likely died.

Any engine lights? I assume no.

cynthiaes300,

try a search on Idle Air Control Valve, this is a common topic and their are many threads. The trottle body may also be dirty and need cleaning as well as the MAF (Mass Air Flow) Sensor. These too, have been covered endlessly.

just to bring you up to speed, FAQ stands for frequently asked questions.

This is a pinned thread at the top of the ES forum. give it a guick read.

steviej

cynthiaes300,

try a search on Idle Air Control Valve, this is a common topic and their are many threads.  The trottle body may also be dirty and need cleaning as well as the MAF (Mass Air Flow) Sensor.  These too, have been covered endlessly.

just to bring you up to speed, FAQ stands for frequently asked questions.

This is a pinned thread at the top of the ES forum.  give it a guick read.

steviej

Hi: Make sure you do check your air filter also in addition to what they have told already, should not be spark plugs, changing your fuel filter may also be a good idea, and putting techtron cleaner and water remover also may be good ideas if all other things fail.

Please tell us when you get it fix what the fix was.

C. PR

It was my understanding the Es has a lifttime fuel filter.

HI:

Yes, it may be a lifetime fuel filter, which I do not know that it is in this model a fact, but it does not say it is Clog Proof. He is having problems and big ones in a new car. C. PR

The chance that a modern japanese fuel filter get's clogged is somewhere between hell freezing over & remote.

Yes, they're life long fuel filters. So long that Toyota doesn't even specify a time change, or inspection interval in the manual. Not just the manual, but the factory service manual!

They should normally have around 100-150 ,000 mile lifespans & they have a hard time clogging. *hint* along with how they're constructed, if you ever take your pump out & inspect the fuel pick-up @ the bottom of the tank between the baffles, you'll find out why! :D

The chance that a modern japanese fuel filter get's clogged is somewhere between hell freezing over & remote.

Yes, they're life long fuel filters. So long that Toyota doesn't even specify a time change, or inspection interval in the manual. Not just the manual, but the factory service manual!

They should normally have around 100-150 ,000 mile lifespans & they have a hard time clogging. *hint* along with how they're constructed, if you ever take your pump out & inspect the fuel pick-up @ the bottom of the tank between the baffles, you'll find out why!  :D

Hello: Thinking that a Japanesse fuel filter never clogs up is a fantasy. All filters have the ability to clog up. If you never change the filter, then when it goes so goes your pump, injectors etc. Not good business for you but for the mechanics it will be. Unless is internal that you cannot take it out, you should replace it at about 100,000, even as they say maintenance free, remember the batteries that were maintenance free?

C. PR

Hey cardona. I stand behind Army

I am not sure what always makes you think you know everything to have a last word. But give it a break the routine is getting real old real fast.

There is something called experience and you may have it with many other cars but your "Lexus " experience is limited to your car and you owning it. You just started learning from this board , so leave the i always know stuff to someone who actually believes it.

Lexus filters are large , they also have the normal particulate sump bag to screen any solids . So the filter only gets natural fluid contamination instead.

Now of the hundreds of Lexus dealers ask how many actually stock the filters. How many they change per year?

The answer is very few ,not because of the maintenance schedule but it just is not needed. Now if you buy gas from billy bobs shack of gas and love then you might need to have it replaced.

Otherwise not everything that you have learned is always applicable to everything else.

Take it with a grain of salt and concede that you are wrong that it always has to be changed.

Do me a favour ,don't post trying to prove your point, thanks