Oem Rebuilt Rack N Pinion V. Other Rebuilts

lexluxury

I am looking at a $650 rebuilt OEM rack and pinion, or a rebuilt rack by Maval or other brands for half that. What would you do? The mechanic says the OEM rebuild is the best...that the others sometimes don't fit quite right and they develop leaks after a time...not sure what to think. Ideas anyone?

I am looking at a $650 rebuilt OEM rack and pinion, or a rebuilt rack by Maval or other brands for half that.  What would you do? The mechanic says the OEM rebuild is the best...that the others sometimes don't fit quite right and they develop leaks after a time...not sure what to think.  Ideas anyone?

When it comes to major parts on a LEXUS I would stay with OEM.

I don't doubt that the rebuilt OEM rack is the best choice, however it's too darn expensive and I would go with a quality aftermarket such as Maval. I would not go with A-1 Cardone it's crap and it will leak in a couple of months! I also think that ARI and Fenco are known to be good quality rebuilds but I have no experience with them.

Very helpful. Thank you to everyone.

I don't doubt that the rebuilt OEM rack is the best choice, however it's too darn expensive and I would go with a quality aftermarket such as Maval. I would not go with A-1 Cardone it's crap and it will leak in a couple of months! I also think that ARI and Fenco are known to be good quality rebuilds but I have no experience with them.

looks like i am close to anwering my own question. maval as it turns out, is the company that SUPPLIES lexus dealers with their remanufactured rack and pinions (PS pumps too, if i am not mistaken), the same rebuilt rack you would get if you walked into a dealer and had them to that repair for you. that's what one wholesaler told me, so if anyone knows any differently let me know...

Very helpful. Thank you to everyone.

yes, please list site for rebuilt rack where you got yours. anotehr question: is it just me, or does everyone feel like a cheapskate calling up mechanics and asking them to do an install only. the thing is, i know i am cutting them out of the profit loop by getting my own parts. i actually feel kind of badly about that. should i??

I just put one in about 2 mos ago from one of the sites on ebay. It was a net of $275 after the core. I'm very happy, it looks to be a top notch rebuild. I'll find and post the name if you're interested.

Bob

Hell no you should not feel bad! True they don't get their profit spread on the parts, but they do get to do the work, and make that money. Trust me, they don't feel bad when they show you that $500 bill for 5 hours of work "with several smoke' breaks in between." If you want to make them feel better, tell them that you're recommending them to all of your LS400 buddies in the area!

obviously, i am not a diy...

yes, please list site for rebuilt rack where you got yours. anotehr question:  is it just me, or does everyone feel like a cheapskate calling up mechanics and asking them to do an install only.  the thing is, i know i am cutting them out of the profit loop by getting my own parts.  i actually feel kind of badly about that.  should i??
I just put one in about 2 mos ago from one of the sites on ebay. It was a net of $275 after the core. I'm very happy, it looks to be a top notch rebuild. I'll find and post the name if you're interested.

Bob

I used a Maval rebuilt power steering pump on my LS as I had also heard that they rebuild for Lexus. It works great, and I would think that a rack from them will be fine too.

I no longer use Fenco for anything. Terrible quality in my experience.

thanks nc211 and srk -- good advice.

I used a Maval rebuilt power steering pump on my LS as I had also heard that they rebuild for Lexus.  It works great, and I would think that a rack from them will be fine too.

I no longer use Fenco for anything.  Terrible quality in my experience.

I have a 84 Saab, and my 91 LS 400, I'm in a small town of 40,000 folks. I do not work on my own cars most of the time becouse I'm better at breaking it then fixing it.

My michanice likes to work on both cars becouse it is a real change of pace for him. Not the same old, same old :blink:

He has no problme with my bringing the parts in to him, as I can find them ccheeper then him most of the time, but we both understand if I bought the part and we do not know it's basd till after it goes on, I pay the labor, but if he bought the part he eats it.

Fortunitly this has not yet happened.

nice arrangement...

I have a 84 Saab, and my 91 LS 400, I'm in a small town of 40,000 folks.  I do not work on my own cars most of the time becouse I'm better at breaking it then fixing it.

My michanice likes to work on both cars becouse it is a real change of pace for him.  Not the same old, same old :blink:

He has no problme with my bringing the parts in to him, as I can find them ccheeper then him most of the time, but we both understand if I bought the part and we do not know it's basd till after it goes on, I pay the labor, but if he bought the part he eats it.

Fortunitly this has not yet happened.