Engine Slip

prix

This has only happened once, possible twice. Driving along at relatively low speed and felt the engine slip. Last about 1/2 a second. This may have happened again the other day, but if so, it was more minor than the first time and I cannot even be certain that was what happened. Any ideas on what could cause this? Car had an intermediate service two years ago, and minor services since (oil and filters changed regularly). It's due for a major service since I am closing in on 75K. V. low mileage for a 1st Gen Lexus. Thank you.

Def not the wheels. The engine, I would guess, unless there's another part that could slip that I don't know about.

I was on a residential street moving fairly slowly (20-25) and after turning onto a higher traffic street, I accelerated (mildly, to pick up speed to 35 or so) and that's when I felt it. I have no idea what the RPMs were, unfortunately, but I would think they would have been quite low. It lasted 1/2 second maybe, but I made a mental note at the time that this was 'new'. Hasn't happened since, but I'm also not driving it a lot for other reasons right now.

Not much to go on, I realize...

More details

it made the engine or wheels slip?

How high did the rpm's go.

What year is his car... hay, akewlguy look on the side of the posting under his name. It is right there...

SK... I'm suprised you did not respond by telling the guy that an Engine does not "slip" unless it is coming off the engine mounts..

I'm thinking this guy is talking about his engine's rpm going up without the car speeding up???? But I'll say he means his transmition or rear end slipped.......

So, have you checked your transmision fliud. How is the level? Is the fluid dark brown oy black??? Or red and you can see the dip stick though it??? Have you ever had the trany serviced or the fliud changed????

A slip would be with the transmission.. Maybe during a shift of great? This car shifts at low RPM's. If you were going into traffic in the 25 - 35 range I would think the LS would be shifting. Good luck and nice low mileage on that 94. There is an LS with low miles for sale in Phili right now for 7800. That is a good deal.

If the way the car felt was similar to that of driving over rumble strips, you may have experienced a very common problem with mid-90's LS models. This usually occurs around 30-40 MPH when you are accelerating up an incline. It happens when the transmission downshifts.

My 93 did this when I first got it. When I had the transmission fluid drained and refilled, the problem stopped. That was probably five years ago, and the problem has not returned.

Try a transmission drain and fill. Use Toyota Type IV ATF.

Had an oily feel to it. Nothing grinding or metallic in sound or feel. I accelerated, felt a lull, then a slippery slurp, as if something were supposed to be grabbing hold, but it didn't. It 'slipped'. It didn't make any slurping noise, just felt like a slurp. After reading these posts, I looked at my records and I'm due for tranny fluids check. I did have an inspection recently though, and they checked off 'clear' on the sheet for fluids (incl. tranny fluids). Hmm...will see if it does it again. Will be in the shop soon and I can bring it up too. If anything interesting, will post it here! Gawd, better not be anything else I have tend to. Low miles and I have had a free ride, up to now that is. Quite literally, a free ride for a decade practically. Now the work begins. Bring it on! Ha ha (demented laugh).

How often do you guys change the transmission fluid? Just curious.

If the way the car felt was similar to that of driving over rumble strips, you may have experienced a very common problem with mid-90's LS models.  This usually occurs around 30-40 MPH when you are accelerating up an incline.  It happens when the transmission downshifts.

My 93 did this when I first got it.  When I had the transmission fluid drained and refilled, the problem stopped.  That was probably five years ago, and the problem has not returned.

Try a transmission drain and fill.  Use Toyota Type IV ATF.

Prix, what was described as the rumble strips pertains to the torque converter. It's a very common problem on the newer models. I've even felt it on the new camry's assigned out as loaners from the dealer. I suggest this be one of those awful reasons to head to the dealership and have them powerflush the transmission fluid. True, it'll cost you a good "c" note or two by the time it's all done and said for, but if it's done wrong????well, you've got the dealership on the hook. I hate the dealership in every aspect, but, when it comes to buying/owning a used lexus ls400, it's best to pony up the coin and have the fluids flushed by them. I say this because the previous owner may have been a jiffy-lube fan and had the tranny flushed by them over the years....with the wrong fluid. I learned this the hard way with my old 01' maxima....ignorance bit me in the tail. well, it was leased, so it didn't bite that bad. But still, you get the point.

Had an oily feel to it.  Nothing grinding or metallic in sound or feel.  I accelerated, felt a lull, then a slippery slurp, as if something were supposed to be grabbing hold, but it didn't.  It 'slipped'.  It didn't make any slurping noise, just felt like a slurp.  After reading these posts, I looked at my records and I'm due for tranny fluids check.  I did have an inspection recently though, and they checked off 'clear' on the sheet for fluids (incl. tranny fluids).  Hmm...will see if it does it again.  Will be in the shop soon and I can bring it up too.  If anything interesting, will post it here!  Gawd, better not be anything else I have tend to.  Low miles and I have had a free ride, up to now that is. Quite literally, a free ride for a decade practically.  Now the work begins.  Bring it on!  Ha ha (demented laugh).

How often do you guys change the transmission fluid?  Just curious. 

If the way the car felt was similar to that of driving over rumble strips, you may have experienced a very common problem with mid-90's LS models.  This usually occurs around 30-40 MPH when you are accelerating up an incline.  It happens when the transmission downshifts.

My 93 did this when I first got it.  When I had the transmission fluid drained and refilled, the problem stopped.  That was probably five years ago, and the problem has not returned.

Try a transmission drain and fill.  Use Toyota Type IV ATF.

If you responded and I missed it sorry, but have you checked the fliud yourself?

Is the level good?

What color is it?

Can you see the dip stick though the fluid?

Owners Man will tell you how to check fluid.

lexus recently checked fluids on an inspection. on fluids check they didn't see anything that needed attention. good info about who to do the tranny flush, nc211.

If you responded and I missed it sorry, but have you checked the fliud yourself?

Is the level good?

What color is it?

Can you see the dip stick though the fluid?

Owners Man will tell you how to check fluid.