Crunch Noise In Front

nc211

I'm just about convinced the original indi mechanic I used last year was an idiot. He was fired after all from his employer. I'm getting this "crunch" noise in the front end when the shocks are compressed down "dip in the road". I hear it now due to the cool / cold weather. I know for a fact the control arms and such were replaced, as I did this myself. But I did not do the front stabalizer bar bushings myself, nor have I seen them. The sound is dead center under the front part of the car, right were those bushings are. And, it changes left to right depending on which side is taking most of the load. This sound like bad stabablzer bar bushings to you guys? Sure does to me. <_<

These bushings will make a nasty noise in just about any make of car. I have had the noise in a mini van I owned, Volvos of course, and my LS. Change them or just get some grease between the rubber and the bar. Cheap fix.

The noise is usually associated with the upper shock mounts but mainly isolated with the front and rear stabilizer/sway bars .

In order to do a quick fix spray some pb blaster on all the bushings on the car . But if you want to isolate to make sure which one do it one by one.

Nope, it's the thermoelastic hydraulic compensation controller. It's a $5400 part and you have to drop the suspension and raise the engine to do it - not a DIY job. Only a Lexus dealer can do it. Better dump that ride while you can. Maybe a nice '00 GS? :lol:

I know what it is, NC. You're starting to hear things because you want another ride, right? Happens all the time. I'm just now getting the Mercedes lust out of my blood, and a buddy of mine took me through the spankin' new Benz/Porsche dealership in Dallas today at lunch and there was a LOT to drool over. I heard squeaks and rattles in the LS all the way back to work!

Kennyr is probably right - lube that baby up and go. It will at least isolate the source of the problem, even if it does start squawking again.

That brings up a good point. SK, when you say upper shock mounts, are you talking about the rubber stopper thing inside the shock tower? I remember when changing out the shocks I came acrossed these and thought to myself "I wonder if these should be replaced too". If it is, is there any way to replace them w/o having to take the whole shock assembly apart? Dealing with those springs is a massive pia!

The noise is usually associated with the upper shock mounts but mainly isolated with the front and rear stabilizer/sway bars .

In order to do a quick fix spray some pb blaster on all the bushings on the car . But if you want to isolate to make sure which one do it one by one.

Hahaha..where in the world did you come up with "thermoelastic hydraulic compensation controller"?? Now that's funny!!

Yeah it's the dry stabalizer bushings for sure. The air is super dry down here now. Really, that's the only noise I hear, and you can't miss it either, sounds horrible. I'll hit them with some grease this weekend probably. Just glad you guys agree, and not all saying "yep, it's the thermoelastic..........". I'd have to go choke Greenspan if that were the case. Yeah, that GS was sweeeeeet! But I have to admit, even after driving a car that sweet, I was still happy when I got back into my battle cruiser. Can't wait for new tires in a couple months.

Nope, it's the thermoelastic hydraulic compensation controller.  It's a $5400 part and you have to drop the suspension and raise the engine to do it - not a DIY job.  Only a Lexus dealer can do it.  Better dump that ride while you can.  Maybe a nice '00 GS?  :lol:

I know what it is, NC.  You're starting to hear things because you want another ride, right?  Happens all the time.  I'm just now getting the Mercedes lust out of my blood, and a buddy of mine took me through the spankin' new Benz/Porsche dealership in Dallas today at lunch and there was a LOT to drool over.  I heard squeaks and rattles in the LS all the way back to work! 

Kennyr is probably right - lube that baby up and go.  It will at least isolate the source of the problem, even if it does start squawking again.

You can spray the lube through the opening in the engine bay.

It may be able to get down and lube the mount to reduce the noise.

I don't think it is the major contributer but would be a good thing to lube as well.

I am glad i have pillow ball mounts so mine do not make any noise.

Worry about spraying the bushings holsing the bars more.

• 1 month later...

I agree with Kennyr. Most any car will do this, especially when the temperature drops below 40* or so. My mothers 1997 Oldsmobile has finally started to make this sound when it is below 40* outside and it has 145K miles. My Mercedes will also do it when it is below 45*. In fact, I have owned several cars in the past that make this noise in the winter. Oddly, my 1973 Pontiac (nearly 33 years old) does not make the noise, nor does my 69' Chevrolet. Must be a different suspension set-up.

These bushings will make a nasty noise in just about any make of car. I have had the noise in a mini van I owned, Volvos of course, and my LS. Change them or just get some grease between the rubber and the bar. Cheap fix.

hey nc211, what kind of tires are you gonna get?

I bet that noise is coming from your lower control arms and I would bet it is the bushings. Check your shock as well. My lower control arm bushings on my 1992 SC400 got really bad and I installed new Supra lower control arms in at $400. Put them in myself alligned the tires, and it rides straight, smoothe and responsive. The daisen bushings suck!!!!

I want another pair of Michelin's, but the budget just won't allow it at this time. So I think I'm going to go with a pair of Continental ContiPremierContact at $87 a tire. They seem to have great reviews on tirerack with great warranty numbers.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...re1=yes&place=1

It's the upper bushings in the struts. Those are the only ones I didn't replace "I'm an idiot" when doing all the control arms.

I bet that noise is coming from your lower control arms and I would bet it is the bushings. Check your shock as well. My lower control arm bushings on my 1992 SC400 got really bad and I installed new Supra lower control arms in at $400. Put them in myself alligned the tires, and it rides straight, smoothe and responsive. The daisen bushings suck!!!!