What Do You Use Floor Jack Or Ramps?

mikek753

Hello all,

what do you use? Floor jack or ramps?

I've used ramps for oil change - when ES330 on ramps everything is fine,

but ride / put ES330 on rumps kin of scary as ES330 is heavy and can just don't stop at the ramp top - going over it :cries: - that is scary

I'm thinking about floor jack for my next oil change.

How high floor jack has to go? 15", 17" 19" or more?

14" could be found for $19.99 - but 14" looks like nothing will do to ES330.

Which one floor jack you may recommend?

thanks.

I like ramps better for stuff like that. Far quicker, easier & won't damage the car during use like jacking will.

Using a jack/stand destroys the stock jacking points quickly & frames on cars today are not meant to jack on, even tho that's where you really should do it.

They're easily crushed.

How high do you have to get the car to change it? Couple of inches. If you're taking the pans off, The wheels being 2-3" off the ground is about right for me.

I use a 3000 lb floor jack from Harbor Freight.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Disp...temnumber=40105

For jack stands, I have 3 ton jack stands. Go to your local Pep Boys and pick them up there. I have 2 ton jack stands as well, but I like to go overboard w/ my weight capacity.

I keep the jack stands at the lowest setting. The 2nd from lowest setting is the highest I'll ever go. The higher you go w/ the car, the more chance you have of having the jack stand tip over (on a slanted surface).

You shouldn't need to raise your car that high for just an oil change.

I use a 3000 lb floor jack from Harbor Freight. 

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Disp...temnumber=40105

For jack stands, I have 3 ton jack stands.  Go to your local Pep Boys and pick them up there.  I have 2 ton jack stands as well, but I like to go overboard w/ my weight capacity. 

I keep the jack stands at the lowest setting.  The 2nd from lowest setting is the highest I'll ever go.  The higher you go w/ the car, the more chance you have of having the jack stand tip over (on a slanted surface). 

You shouldn't need to raise your car that high for just an oil change.

I don't have to jack up either of my cars to change the oil or tranny. But when I do jack it up I use a floor jack and jack stands and don't forget to chock the wheels and put the emergency brake on.

hydrolic 1 ton floor jack and and 2 jack stands came as a set from Sears (Craftsman). Got it at a good price and if any of the three ever break, automatically replaced, no questions asked.

The ramps I have are too steep and hit the bottom of the bumper before the tires start up the incline, so I don't use them on the Lex.

steviej

hydrolic 1 ton floor jack and and 2 jack stands came as a set from Sears (Craftsman).  Got it at a good price and if any of the three ever break, automatically replaced, no questions asked.

The ramps I have are too steep and hit the bottom of the bumper before the tires start up the incline, so I don't use them on the Lex.

steviej

how high it goes? 14" or higher?

thanks.

Hello all,

what do you use? Floor jack or ramps?

I've used ramps for oil change - when ES330 on ramps everything is fine,

but ride / put ES330 on rumps kin of scary as ES330 is heavy and can just don't stop at the ramp top - going over it  :cries:  - that is scary

I'm thinking about floor jack for my next oil change.

How high floor jack has to go? 15", 17" 19" or more?

14" could be found for $19.99 - but 14" looks like nothing will do to ES330.

Which one floor jack you may recommend?

thanks.

My 2 cents...

DON"T buy a $19.99 floor jack. In my experience, they are crap. Spend a little more and get a good one. Also, do not use those cheap pressed metal ramps. Get something more substantial. They absolutely need some kind of bracing between the bottom of the ramp and the vertical part at the front of the ramp or they can collapse. I would never crawl under a car that's up on cheap ramps, especially a front-heavy car like an ES300.

You don't need to spend a fortune on these things - just don't get the cheapest ones you can find. For a little more money you can get a LOT more quality and (most important) safety.

tck...

hydrolic 1 ton floor jack and and 2 jack stands came as a set from Sears (Craftsman).  Got it at a good price and if any of the three ever break, automatically replaced, no questions asked.

steviej

That is what I bought when I had my truck. Problem was 3 ton was too small and would not lift it....

But it works fine on the ES.

steviej

That is what I bought when I had my truck. Problem was 3 ton was too small and would not lift it....

But it works fine on the ES.

Will those work?

Craftsman 2-1/4 ton Floor Jack with 2-1/4 ton Jack Stands $39.99

Sears item #00950138000 Mfr. model #50138

Jack lifting range is 5-1/2 to 15 in. Built-in pressure release valve protects against overloading of jack. Jack stands adjustable from 10-7/16 to 17-1/8 in.

Would 15" be high enough?

Or should I go with :

Craftsman 2-1/4 ton Floor Jack

Sears item #00950523000 Mfr. model #50523 - $19.99

This steel compact floor jack features a baked enamel finish, contoured stick handle and 4 steel castors.

plus

Craftsman 2-1/4 ton Jack Stands, 2 pk.

Sears item #00950182000 Mfr. model #50182 - $14.99

Two 2-1/4 ton/4500 lb. Capacity jack stands with a ratchet design for fast, easy, secure adjustment. Counterweighted pawl with quick adjustment control for secure locking.

p.s. Craftsman 36 in. Creeper, Metal Frame

Sears item #00951147000 Mfr. model #51147 for $14.99

thanks.

how high it goes? 14" or higher?

thanks.

Mike, high enough for me to crawl under with room to spare and the jack is not at its fullest extension. I have to check but I think my jack may be the 3 ton version and not the 1 ton as previously stated.

ATF_Change_003.jpg

I concur with the other posts. Go for the $39.99 jack. Just make sure you can roll the jack under the crossmembers when it is at its lowest position. Check the jack stands too and see if they come with safetys.

steviej