This Tan Leather Won't Get Clean!

I'm assuming Lexol is a very mild cleaner, because I have tried to scrub my leather clean with a medium and even a harder bristle brush (didn't scratch) to no avail.

The leather itself is in very good condition with very very small cracks that are hard to see with the eye. The problem is these cracks are filled with dirt and have become very visible.

What is the strongest cleaner and the best method to use? A stronger Woolite solution? Mr. Clean Magic Eraser? Scrubbing the Lexol in and wiping clean does nothing. Can it be steamed out?

Cleaning- use a soft horse hair brush (Groit's Leather & Interior Brush) and/or a vacuum to remove any dust, apply a cleaning solution (Water /Woolite® or Dreft® 6:1 ratio or stronger) on to an applicator pad and apply to one area at a time (i.e. a seat back). To remove stubborn dirt or grime gently agitate the surface with a boar's hair cleaning brush (this will not harm the leather) then use a clean, damp Microfiber towel to rinse.

Maintenance cleaning- use a cleaning solution (Water /Woolite® or Dreft® 10:1 ratio) on to an applicator pad and apply to one area at a time

Stubborn stains- dependent upon the leathers condition or how dirty it is consider using a leather-cleaning product. (Leatherique's Prestine Clean, Zaino Leather in a bottle, Groit's Leather Cleaner or Autoglym Leather Cleaner)

Do not use steam to clean leather it will dry out both the leather hide (causing it to crack) and the stitching , which will cause them to become weak, fry and eventually break.

JonM

SW -Yep, Mr. Clean's Magic Erasers did indeed work! My first impression was, "don't buy anything with the word 'Magic' on it" and also, I can't believe I'm paying for something that weighs lighter than air.

However, within a couple of seconds after wetting and wringing out the sponge, it formed a slightly abrasive material that lifted the dirt right out. The sponge did wear down rather quickly. Followed up immediately with Lexol conditioner.

Unfortunately for me, I realized that there are still small leather cracks that because of the void, look black to the eye. I can live with this.

But the improvement is very nice and the sponges worked great. Picked up a 4 pack at Walmart. - Thanks.

I am a true belive in the MR.clean thing too.

After all the threads on here about it , i bought some today and cleaned more stuff that i didn't even know i wanted to .

Had to hide doing it infront of the wife or she might have some more ideas for me to do.

They actually have a wheel tire one i bought today also.

It does not have the sponge backing to wipe dry so i will be trying it shortly.

• 2 weeks later...

well, I just tried my magic eraser on my 94 ls400 ivory interior. it was amazing on the steering wheel. it was ok on the plastic seat bottom - where there were black shoe kick marks. it wasn't quite what I hoped for on the deep grooves on the driver's seat - near the door. I had a couple of areas where the "skin lines" were dark and I was hoping they would magically turn ivory again. maybe I need to put a little more elbow grease into it! it is better, but not quite like new. coated it well with lexol afterwards. will keep after it though!