How To Tighten Crank Pulley Bolt Back To 200 Ft-lb

Righty Loosy, Lifty Tighty!

hahahahahahahaha

You need a 1/2" drive wrench with a a pipe on it for some easy torque multiplication, or a 2-3' long breaker bar (also 1/2" drive).

If you can get over 100lb-ft on one that's normally enough. They're not only keyed, but they tighten themself. That's why they may only go on with 140-170lb-ft, but they always take 200-300lb-ft to get off!

Thanks for the reply. Allright, so I should be tight enough when the bolt can crank the crankshaft and everything else turned by the timing belt? I don't need to hold the pulley in place somehow and continue to tighten the bolt any more? Once again, thanks for your reply, I always have confidence in your suggestions.

Ya, there's a big difference between what you can do with your maximum effort on a 9-12" long ratchet, & what you can do with an extra foot or two of leverage.

It's not just putting a normal bolt in where it's snug. 100lb-ft is a lot! That's enough to snap head bolts in half & head bolts are fairly large. (They're large enough to pick the front end of the car up with one, or two if you could rig a way to do it)

Case in point... Call me a total !Removed!, but installing my heads the last time I replaced my gaskets - it was impossible for me to generate the 100lb-ft on the bolts I was after on my 3/8" ratchet. That being said, it was only minimal-medium effort at most to do it with a large (2 1/2" long) torque wrench.

To generate the amount of force the pulley needs, you really need either an extension on a 1/2" drive ratchet, or a full blown large torque wrench (250lb rated). It's just impossible otherwise. It'd be like trying to take your lug nuts off with the provided 9" long tool. It simply won't happen if the lugs are on snug. Now imagine having to double that amount of force!