Tire Plugs V. New Tire

prix

Anyone know the down low on this question. A nail in the tire: I can plug it for $20 or I can spend much more on a new tire. What's been your experiience with plugs. Are they reliable/safe? Thanks much.

Interesting. The guy who did the one (this happened ages ago) said nobody is patching tires any longer. They're all using plugs and they're just as good. So far no leaks, but I was just curious as to someone else's opinon. Hmmm...this new one is a nail. Can you patch on the inside for a nail wound? Well, if you know...

I wouldn't plug the tire. See if they can patch it from the inside. When I ran my tire shop we never used plugs. If the plug is not installed correctly they will still leak.

First if it on the sidewall. tire is dead. No reliable shop will fix it. For plug or patch, it depends on what you call a plud and what yo call a patch???

To do it right the tire comes off the rim. A plug is put though the hole. Then a patch is but in the inside of the tire over the plug...

Plugs work.. At worst you could get another leak, but from my experiences it never happens. I used to have a 4x4 and I pluged that and numerous other tires. I never ever had a problem. They check under water to make sure you dont have a leak. If there were serious problems everyone would sue.

Thanks everyone. The guy was genius. He glanced at the nail and said, 'you won't have a leak, it went in sideways'. He sprayed it (no bubbles), then yanked it out. The other plug is holding up fine...the tire with the plug isn't losing any air that I can see (I check them every few weeks). Another problem solved.

I agree with 914lps

A plug is fine and it seals with the adhesive quite nicely.

There are repair items known as "patch plugs" which have a long thin tapered rubber pin attached to the center of a patch. This prevents water from migrating into the cord structure, and forms a good seal on the inside of the tire, which is the best of both. A good tire shop will know these items are available. They aren't cheap, but they save a tire and return it to a nearly new state.

Good info! On the next one, I'll use it...

There are repair items known as "patch plugs"  which have a long thin tapered rubber pin attached to the center of a patch.  This prevents water from migrating into the cord structure, and forms a good seal on the inside of the tire, which is the best of both.    A good tire shop will know these items are available.  They aren't cheap, but they save a tire  and return it to a nearly new state.

read in my llexus owners manual that plugs alone are NOT a safe repair. the tire guy was right. they say on radials to use the patch and plug type of fix. if there is any damage on sidewall or outer side of tire, forget it. replace the tire. if you are traveling long distances at high speed, you would not want to be relying on a plugged tire for obvious safety reasons. around town at low speeds should be okay though. again, do a full repair, not just a plug type repair, or replace the tire.

Good info!  On the next one, I'll use it...
There are repair items known as "patch plugs"   which have a long thin tapered rubber pin attached to the center of a patch.  This prevents water from migrating into the cord structure, and forms a good seal on the inside of the tire, which is the best of both.    A good tire shop will know these items are available.  They aren't cheap, but they save a tire  and return it to a nearly new state.