Toyota On Thinner Oil

mburnickas

• 3 weeks later...

Guess I'll be the ginny pig. Like always... LoL!

I'll put in some 5w-20 Mobile 1 synthetic *if* I can find it anywhere. I've seen 5w-30, 10W-30 & 10w-40, but haven't noticed 5w-20 at wal-mart.

Shouldn't matter AFA leaks go. The front main seal is the only gasket I haven't replaced in the last year, or two.

All my bearings are in great condition so...

5w-20 oughta be fun with the remote filter, aux. oil cooler. I wanna go dual filters this winter when I get back around to playing with a new turbo.

• 3 weeks later...

Update.

OK couldn't find 5w-20 in the cheap jug in the past 2 weeks.

Right now this week I'm doing:

Quick flush (10 min of idling) with 5 quarts 5w-30 Supertech (dino) +1 quart diesel.

A longer flush (Maybe 10 min of driving around) with 5w-20 Supertech (dino).

Just to make sure this damned oil & coolant slurry is out of my engine LoL!

BlownGasketOilCoolant.jpg

Then 4 quarts of 5w-30 Mobil 1 Synthetic + 1 quart of 5w-20 Mobil 1 Synthetic.

OR

3 quarts of 5w-30 & 2 quarts of 5w-20 m1s.

I just can't decide which way to go. I'm leaning 3 & 2.

When I put the turbo on I'll add another quart. If it's 4 + 1 I'll add another 5w-20. Otherwise just dump more 5w-30 in.

Anywho... As some point in the near future it's going to be 2 quarts of 5w-20 to 3 (or 4) quarts of 5w-30.

(Sorry... I still wouldn't mind trying 5w-20 even with the turbo on the car, but I spent over $100 buying nothing more the new fluids to flush with & didn't want to buy 7 single quarts of m1s. We all know I'm not made of money LoL! On the side note, I most likely have the hardest driven A54(x) transmission here & the least amount of wear at the same time - hahahahahahaha. The PS is loving it's new fluid. Old stuff was turning dark - UGH After only a year - year & a half of driving LoL!)

Then 4 quarts of 5w-30 Mobil 1 Synthetic + 1 quart of 5w-20 Mobil 1 Synthetic.

OR

3 quarts of 5w-30 & 2 quarts of 5w-20 m1s.

I just can't decide which way to go. I'm leaning 3 & 2.

When I put the turbo on I'll add another quart. If it's 4 + 1 I'll add another 5w-20. Otherwise just dump more 5w-30 in.

Anywho... As some point in the near future it's going to be 2 quarts of 5w-20 to 3 (or 4) quarts of 5w-30.

Good lord man! :blink: So what will the end result be? 5W 25.5 oil? lol :lol::huh: ;)

I don't really care to know; I just know it's thinner than the 5w-30 I've been using this year & nobody else is gonna try it.

m1s is great stuff 5w-30 survived two blown headgaskets (lots of coolant mixing) & the over-spooling turbo (I'm sure that was hot), running some miles on 3 quarts of oil after I had a sever RMS, or RVC blow-out. (I forget). Running another few hundred miles with atleast 7 quarts in it (I really think it was closer to 8 quarts). Hell that's just 2005! bawahahahahahaha

Might as well add a weird mix of 5w-20 to the list of 2005 accomplishments.

Every bearing surface in the engine looks awsome. Damned warped heads... I hate dealers.

After that who knows. I've been wanting to prove that Astroglide is the greatest lubricant of all time.

:chairshot:

I don't really care to know; I just know it's thinner than the 5w-30 I've been using this year & nobody else is gonna try it.

m1s is great stuff 5w-30 survived two blown headgaskets (lots of coolant mixing) & the over-spooling turbo (I'm sure that was hot), running some miles on 3 quarts of oil after I had a sever RMS, or RVC blow-out. (I forget). Running another few hundred miles with atleast 7 quarts in it (I really think it was closer to 8 quarts). Hell that's just 2005! bawahahahahahaha

Might as well add a weird mix of 5w-20 to the list of 2005 accomplishments.

Every bearing surface in the engine looks awsome. Damned warped heads... I hate dealers.

After that who knows. I've been wanting to prove that Astroglide is the greatest lubricant of all time.

:chairshot: :chairshot: :chairshot: :chairshot: :chairshot: :chairshot:

I'M GETTING SOOOOOO CONFUSED !!!!!!!!! LOL

I'm enjoying this one actually....lol  :lol:  Toys is bringing a slightly different 'mix' (yes pun intended) to this oil thread.    ;)  I'm intrigued & entertained!  B)      :whistles:

:cheers:

Lots of people mix there own oil. He likes to "blend" his own oil....neat....

I'm enjoying this one actually....lol   :lol:  Toys is bringing a slightly different 'mix' (yes pun intended) to this oil thread.    ;)   I'm intrigued & entertained!   B)     :whistles:

Lots of people mix there own oil. He likes to "blend" his own oil....neat....

First I've read about it on these forums actually (maybe missed the others? :unsure: as I can't recall any). Hey whatever floats one's boat. ;)

Na it's nothing new. Like mburnickas said. It's not uncommon.

I've never cared what some people say about mixing oil. When it heats up & get's thrown around @ over 100psi in the oil pump when you're on the gas, it's gonna mix.

I'm just mixing some 20 & 30 to thin the 30 out. Mainly 'cause I'm too cheap to buy individual quarts of 5w-20.

Less confusing now?

Na it's nothing new. Like mburnickas said. It's not uncommon.

I've never cared what some people say about mixing oil. When it heats up & get's thrown around @ over 100psi in the oil pump when you're on the gas, it's gonna mix.

I'm just mixing some 20 & 30 to thin the 30 out. Mainly 'cause I'm too cheap to buy individual quarts of 5w-20.

Less confusing now?

Perfectly clear Toys. B)

• 3 months later...

5W-30 is the thinnest oil Toyota recommends in the USA / Canada. Toyota also sternly warns against extending oil changes even if using synthetic oil. Why? One reason may be Toyota knows emissions will go up and fuel economy will go down if oil changes are extended. Here's what Valvoline's website says: http://tinyurl.com/rgguv

"there are still many benefits to changing your oil every 3,000 miles. For starters, the emission of dangerous

pollutants like hydrocarbons, carbon monoxide and nitrogen oxide increase as oil ages. In other words,

old oil increases air pollution. Further, cars that have been subjected to extended drain intervals may continue

to emit higher levels of pollution even after they adopt a more conservative maintenance schedule. Fuel

consumption also increases as oil gets old, and vehicles may continue to burn higher quantities of fuel even after the oil is changed."

5W-30 is the thinnest oil Toyota recommends in the USA / Canada. Toyota also sternly warns against extending oil changes even if using synthetic oil. Why? One reason may be Toyota knows emissions will go up and fuel economy will go down if oil changes are extended. Here's what Valvoline's website says: http://tinyurl.com/rgguv

"there are still many benefits to changing your oil every 3,000 miles. For starters, the emission of dangerous

pollutants like hydrocarbons, carbon monoxide and nitrogen oxide increase as oil ages. In other words,

old oil increases air pollution. Further, cars that have been subjected to extended drain intervals may continue

to emit higher levels of pollution even after they adopt a more conservative maintenance schedule. Fuel

consumption also increases as oil gets old, and vehicles may continue to burn higher quantities of fuel even after the oil is changed."

not to mention that it will help maintain the oil companies profits to encourage more frequent oil changes.

come on monarch, let's be a little more realistic.

steveij

I usually ignore some users but this is far too ludicrous to not…

Most manufactures need thinner oil to adhere to CAFÉ standards; the thinner oil must be used. This is nothing new here. Why do you think diesels are going to 5w-30 from 15w-40? Next is WHY does extended drains come into it when nothing was EVEN stated about it????

Monarch, you really have no clue on extended drains here, NONE, zero. Toyota is way behind the times here as they have been. I am not going to state the deal with Toyota since it is 100% legal issues and most people are clueless on it; some people on this very forum.Even Lexus does not state 3,000 miles. These intervals have not been in books/manuals since I have been driving!

Next is you do not even do oil testing nor even go longer with drains. The best or most laughable part is the emissions go up and mpg goes down is flat out amusing at best. Did you actually read what you copied and pasted? It does not make a statement on anything. It just states things might happen. ….I might hit the lottery too! LOL

If it was from Valvoline how come it is not on Valvoline.com? I have been doing extended drains for over 12+ years and never had emission goes up when I get them tested by the state and my MPG are constant when doing this (extended drains). So far in almost 4 years I get my car inspected by MA inspection with 11 to 12 month old oil. Gee, car passing with flying colors.

To close, next time you stick your nose into something at least have some background on it since you are way out of your league on extended drains. Go tests some car engine oils (as I have stated to you for over 3+ years) then come back and post. If you did test your oil, you would not even be posting as you did on this subject at hand.

I really could care less.

Especially about this:

One reason may be Toyota knows emissions will go up and fuel economy will go down if oil changes are extended. Here's what Valvoline's website says: http://tinyurl.com/rgguv

I have no emessions related equipment on my ES, yet I set the "unofficial old v6" full tank of gas mpg record at 28mpg 100% highway on my 3vz-fe.

That's the pre 1mz-fe record by a relatively wide margin VS anything I have ever encountered. If not a flat out pre vvt-i record.

AFA extended drain intervals. Define extended? Who said I'm using extended intervals? Who said I'm not? I simply said it was doing well.

I've been thinking it over. I think I'm going to go ahead & do my valve adjustments this week & just put 5-6 quarts of 5w-20 in. Change it out whenever I sell the car, if I do. If not... Next fall sounds good, unless I start racking up the 8 hour trips to see the GF.

http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/interval.html

Based on our actual raw interval of 18,000 miles and our corrected interval of slightly over 10,000 miles, we can safely say that theories one (change every 3,000 miles), three (follow the dash indicator), and four (the Paradise Garage method -- sigh) are rubbish and worthless.

Theory five, the Kublin method, shows promise. Using the actual Mobil 1 TBN in the calculation presented a very reasonable number for an engine that consumes small amounts of oil, and the calculation using the empirical constant of 8 for Mobil 1 is almost spot-on for an engine that uses no oil at all. Nice work, Kublin!

Theory six, the Heidebrecht method, is also surprisingly accurate provided that you know approximately how much make-up oil you'll use over the course of your planned interval. Clearly, in the earlier stages when we didn't really know how much make-up oil we'd need, the estimate was way off. But by the end of the study it missed our actual interval by only 700 miles. So, for engines where the rate of consumption is known, it may be possible to get a reasonable estimate of how long the oil will last. Kudos to Heidebrecht for puzzling out this complex formula.

http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/mobil1.html

http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/amsoil.html

Pretty much just destroyed the 3,000 mile oil bulldung, And it is bullcrap, as anylisis on about anything shows. Past that, Toyota's old recommendation of 7,500 / 5,000 miles looks very, very good. This is probably why they never had any problems spring up from the old 7500 mile duration on dino oil. No recalls, no major changes, or campains to educate people.

People <cough> can spew bullcrap left & right all they want. But oil anylisis shows that it's all a bullheap. Not fact.

From here, take oil drain discussion to a different thread. This one is about quality, light weight oils that were not avalible in 1990.

• 3 months later...

Bump. 5 quarts of m1 synthetic 5w-20 still looking really good 2,000 miles later. (I know, I know. Remember, I did some transmission valve-body mods, and wound up having to go back in & rewire the shift solenoids, then replace them a month later!?)

But... I flogged the pee out of it today down some major backroads for a good hour. Sorting out some shift timing & afew little mods not playing nicely together. I need a new front right tire. Yea! I got my dot4 brake fluid boiling several times. (ugh damned brake fluid. Must be time to change it again! LoL! I can tell it's been 3 years. There must be some moisture in there.)

Even with the DIY oil filter relocation mod. The engine is still in one piece, So... IDK how long I'll ride this 5w-20, but I'm proclaiming it safe for old engines. *Provided* they don't already leak with a 30.

Bump. 5 quarts of m1 synthetic 5w-20 still looking really good 2,000 miles later. (I know, I know. Remember, I did some transmission valve-body mods, and wound up having to go back in & rewire the shift solenoids, then replace them a month later!?)

But... I flogged the pee out of it today down some major backroads for a good hour. Sorting out some shift timing & afew little mods not playing nicely together. I need a new front right tire. Yea! I got my dot4 brake fluid boiling several times. (ugh damned brake fluid. Must be time to change it again! LoL! I can tell it's been 3 years. There must be some moisture in there.)

Even with the DIY oil filter relocation mod. The engine is still in one piece, So... IDK how long I'll ride this 5w-20, but I'm proclaiming it safe for old engines. *Provided* they don't already leak with a 30.

Do you notice any significant gains in fuel economy compared to 5w30 toys? :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...

I have been using 0w-30 series 2000 Amsoil and went from 25-27Mpg (car had fresh change of petroleum oil when I bought it) up to over 30mpg using Amsoil.

I just went on a long trip last weekend, NC to Miami, this oil has been in car about 10+ months and after trip about 8,000 miles and I got 31.83mpg on my last tank.

So Im getting 5-6mpg more compared to petroleum oil, although that does include changing the OEM paper air filter to a K&N which probably also helped a bit.

1999 ES300

Nope, but I wouldn't see any benifit to economy. My base fuel pressure is 60psi & like 71psi @ wot. I'm getting sub 20mpg right now.

Compaired to someone running 10w-40, or 15w-50 (eeek) I'm sure there's a gain.

Personally. I'm going to stick with the 5w-20 m1 synthetic.

I'm gunna make another thread here in afew b/c this one is long & nobody in their right minds sits throuh long posts where information shold be at the top is way down.

Toyota approved all the older engines like ours for the GF-4 specification. That means 5w-20 is approved on all the VZ's, JZ's, UZ's, FZ's. All the engines ever optioned in a Lexus.