2002 Es300 All Season Tire

blue

Well, it is tire time again for me. I previously came here and ended up purchasing Toyo TPT's to replace the OEM Michelin MXV4's at 30-35K. I'm nearing 70K and 1.5 years later, the tires need replacing.

MICHELIN MXV4

Liked: Quiet

Didn't like: Squeeling tires around easy curves, not good traction in foul weather (snow, rain, slick surfaces)

TOYO TPT

Liked: Great traction, very hard to squeel

Didn't like:Far louder on road (I don't think the ride was worse, but am not 100% positive)

WHAT TO BUY NOW? It is 1.5 years later. That is an enormous amount of time in the technology world. Have there been any breakthru's in tires? I see mention of the Goodyear triple thread and another brand named Falken (new to me).

Basically... I want 2 things, good traction in all seasons, and then good ride/no noise for driving with windows down and long trips. If I had my way, I'd combine the MXV4 and the TPT and be willing to pay a premium for it. Does such a beast exist??

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

I replaced the TPTs with the Michelins and I have pretty much the same experience. However I found the traction with the TPTs to be downright dangerous.

All in all I'm much more satisfied with the Michelins than I was the Toyos.

The tire you might be looking for is the Bridgestone Turanza LS-V. I've not used them, but jragosta has them on his ES330, just put them on, and he loves them. Cheaper than the MXV4s too, about the same cost as the Toyos (which are a pretty lousy tire in the end, IMHO).

I replaced the TPTs with the Michelins and I have pretty much the same experience. However I found the traction with the TPTs to be downright dangerous.

The tire you might be looking for is the Bridgestone Turanza LS-V. I've not used them, but jragosta has them on his ES330, just put them on, and he loves them. Cheaper than the MXV4s too, about the same cost as the Toyos (which are a pretty lousy tire in the end, IMHO).

Did you have the MXV4's as OEM or the Dunlop? I'm curious as to whether you had experienced the MXV4 before buying them. Thx

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

SW- What's the story on the Michies in the snow? I'm sure you've had a good snow in DC by now, and I'm interested to know the comparision to the TPT's.

I agree with SWO3ES,The bridgestone turanzas LS-V,or save a few bucks like $30.00 or more a tire and go with falkens. just my opinion... :cheers:

Well, it is tire time again for me. I previously came here and ended up purchasing Toyo TPT's to replace the OEM Michelin MXV4's at 30-35K. I'm nearing 70K and 1.5 years later, the tires need replacing.

MICHELIN MXV4

Liked: Quiet

Didn't like: Squeeling tires around easy curves, not good traction in foul weather (snow, rain, slick surfaces)

TOYO TPT

Liked: Great traction, very hard to squeel

Didn't like:Far louder on road (I don't think the ride was worse, but am not 100% positive)

WHAT TO BUY NOW? It is 1.5 years later. That is an enormous amount of time in the technology world. Have there been any breakthru's in tires? I see mention of the Goodyear triple thread and another brand named Falken (new to me).

Basically... I want 2 things, good traction in all seasons, and then good ride/no noise for driving with windows down and long trips. If I had my way, I'd combine the MXV4 and the TPT and be willing to pay a premium for it. Does such a beast exist??

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

everyone here knows what tires i reccomend. :D Falken Zeix ZE-512. probably better ones out there, but they are an incredible bargain, they look nice and they are quiet! excellent grip too!

everyone here knows what tires i reccomend. :D Falken Zeix ZE-512. probably better ones out there, but they are an incredible bargain, they look nice and they are quiet! excellent grip too!

Be careful Army as you rack up the miles on the Falken's........they are getting a little weak in the snow traction department after about 22,000 miles on my wife's leased Focus (I'm driving it until we have to take it back in March......Lexus is in my underground). They are only rated in that size (205 50 16) for 30,000 miles anyways. B)

:cheers:

Be careful Army as you rack up the miles on the Falken's........they are getting a little weak in the snow traction department after about 22,000 miles on my wife's leased Focus (I'm driving it until we have to take it back in March......Lexus is in my underground). They are only rated in that size (205 50 16) for 30,000 miles anyways. B)

mine have the 420 rating, 60K miles. but i will bear that in mind. thanks!

Oh right, I forgot you have the 60 series or higher version. ;)

Oh right, I forgot you have the 60 series or higher version. ;)

yeah i went with 195/60R15, because they lasted longer. :) thanks for the concern though.

yeah i went with 195/60R15, because they lasted longer. :) thanks for the concern though.

No problem bud, couldn't remember what size you purchased. You'll be good for a long time then. :)

Just for a note.... my daughters car has the falkens in a 205x55 16 and I am taking them off with 43,000 miles on them . They are on a corrola and she is now 21 ,and they were rotated but not as well as I would of liked. I am happy with that though.Thats all 4 seasons also.

No problem bud, couldn't remember what size you purchased. You'll be good for a long time then. :)

Just for a note.... my daughters car has the falkens in a 205x55 16 and I am taking them off with 43,000 miles on them . They are on a corrola and she is now 21 ,and they were rotated but not as well as I would of liked. I am happy with that though.Thats all 4 seasons also.

Which tire did you replace them with?

:)

Just for a note.... my daughters car has the falkens in a 205x55 16 and I am taking them off with 43,000 miles on them . They are on a corolla and she is now 21 ,and they were rotated but not as well as I would of liked. I am happy with that though.Thats all 4 seasons also.

Same thing army!!! Why turn away a good tire at a good price that can handle the wi. winters.. :) :cheers:

Just for a note.... my daughters car has the falkens in a 205x55 16 and I am taking them off with 43,000 miles on them . They are on a corolla and she is now 21 ,and they were rotated but not as well as I would of liked. I am happy with that though.Thats all 4 seasons also.

Same thing army!!! Why turn away a good tire at a good price that can handle the wi. winters.. :):cheers:

glad to hear it :)