Brake Pad Life

Rear pads had to be replaced at 70,000 miles. Approaching 80,000, I am told that the front pads still have 6/32 remaining which means I could have another 20,000 or so remaining miles. Seems strange to me that the fronts last so much longer than the rears since I always thought the front brakes endure more wear and tear in stopping the vehicle.

The guy who did the state inspection indicated that the rears looked like they needed replacement and when I brought it to Lexus I just asked for all the brakes to be inspected and they came back and said rears needed replacement. So there was no predisposition on their part to replace the rears.

My question: Anything unique about the GS 400 that would allow the rears to wear out sooner than fronts, especially at such relatively high mileage? Note that I average 5,000 miles a year in stop and go and 8,000 highway.

You are right that the front brakes do more work. That imbalance is worse on front drive cars than on rear drive, but the front brakes do more regardless. Manufacturers balance the front to rear braking force not only hydraulically, but also by changing the physical characteristics of the brakes. The front pads are far bigger, and have far more piston area clamping them, than the rears. The pad material itself may also be different.

It is also possible that you are on the second set of front pads, unless you have owned the car from a low mileage and know otherwise.

The bottom line is when they need doin', they need doin'.

You are right that the front brakes do more work.  That imbalance is worse on front drive cars than on rear drive, but the front brakes do more regardless.  Manufacturers balance the front to rear braking force not only hydraulically, but also by changing the physical characteristics of the brakes.  The front pads are far bigger, and have far more piston area clamping them, than the rears.  The pad material itself may also be different.

It is also possible that you are on the second set of front pads, unless you have owned the car from a low mileage and know otherwise.

The bottom line is when they need doin', they need doin'.

The VSC on the car wear the rear brakes faster than the front. That is one reason for the wear.

Then the VSC light must be flashing all the time. Mine has flashed about three times in a year, and I live in a rainy neighborhood. I can't see how anyone could invoke the VSC enough to make a difference.

I don't know about this car, but my RX300 did the same thing, but the rear brakes are quite small and the disk is not vented. Maybe this car is the same.

I don't know about this car, but my RX300 did the same thing, but the rear brakes are quite small and the disk is not vented. Maybe this car is the same.

I don't know about this car, but my RX300 did the same thing, but the rear brakes are quite small and the disk is not vented.  Maybe this car is the same.

The size of the pads could have alot to do with the wear seen as the rear pads are about 1/3rd smaller than the front. I experience the same wear on my GS but not on my ES, They wear quite even on my ES.