Daytime Running Lights

CanadaCraig

Hi Guys!! :)

My 1993 LS400 has daytime running lights. It is at the Lexus dealer as I 'speak'. One of the things that I've asked them to do is to change my 1993 DRL's setup for a 1994 LS setup. It's different - apparently. On my car - ALL exterior lights come on when the DRL's are on. Starting with the 1994 LS - only the headlights come on. [using half power - just as on my headlights] THIS is according the LexLS.com site. [i hope he's right]

My question is... could I pop my hood and say, "THERE IS THE DRL THING!!" Or is it hidden away somewhere? Is it a single 'thing'? [a plug-in or box or whatever] OR is it more complicated than that?

I hope this makes sense.

Thanks.

[and yes - I did a search!!]

Craig!! :)

DRL as far as I know on your series only activates in Canada.

In US its different.

I have no idea how to rewire the system, but its not an easy process. Contact any Lexus Dealer and see how much they would charge you.

In looking at the schematics, you have a DRL Module (they call it a relay) under the drivers side instrument panel. The headlights and the tail lights have different circuits inside the DRL module that control the lights. If you didn't want the tail lights to operate with the headlights during DRL conditions, it looks like it would be a simple matter of disconnecting the green/black wires from terminals 3 & 4 of the DRL Main relay and then connect the two removed wires together. This will in effect bypass the DRL Main relay comletely and that is in fact what you will find in the US version. Discuss this option with your Lexus dealer. Whether it's legal or not to do this in Canada is unknown to me but it would in fact be relatively easy to do.

Thanks Guys. I appreciate the replies.

Hi Curt!! :)

Wow!! Now THAT IS helpful!! Thank you. You understood exactly what I was asking. I was starting to wonder if it was just ME!! My Lexus dealer can't seem to 'get it'. No matter how many times I bring it up - the only answer I get back is, "That's how all DRL's work!!" NO IT'S NOT. But try getting them to understand that. Grr... It's almost to the point that I just want them to understand what I'm saying. [whether or not they do anything about it]

Oh well...

At least now [thanks to you] I can point them in the right direction. [the next time I bring my car in]

As for the rest of the car...

The 'TRAC' light caused a code to come up. [#19 I think] Apparently the TRAC pump is running more often than it should. They cleared the memory and asked me to drive if for a couple of week to see if the TRAC light comes back on. I don't want to get all excited over what will probably end up getting me no where - but IF a TRAC pump applies the brakes [when there is no call for it do to so] would that not interfere with how quickly the car accelerates? [a 'no-brainer' perhaps - but I'm losing my confidence in what makes sense to ME] Is it possible that the problem all along has been [and continues to be] a faulty TRAC pump?

And what makes a TRAC pump PUMP?!

Oh oh.....

Thanks again.

Craig!! :)

Since we're talking daytime running lights. Why don't I have any or are they blown. 1998 LS400. I notice on other models like mine, the DRL's are located where my highbeams are. My highbeams work but the lights are not on in the daytime. I'm Confused.