Not Happy With Gx Accleration

SilverGX

The first time really had the GX out on a 2 lane road where passing power

is important. The 05 4 Runner 2WD had allot more pep.

Oh the GX will eventually get going but its gradual. That all wheel drive

really eats up the power. To bad cant be a select 4WD. If had spent

enough time behind the wheel of one, this would have been the deal

breaker. I would have gotten another 4 Runner 2WD. Even my larger

Avalanche has more kickdown to move on around.

Its not so much the 4 wheel drive taking up the engine's power, but more to do with the additional weigh of the 4 wheel drive system itself. If you compare a GX with a 2WD 4Runner, the GX is almost 800 pounds heavier. Even with the select 4WD, you would still have the additional weigh, but you might get better gas mileage.

Yea, AWD is not necessary and it does eat up valuable energy to drive all 4 wheels all the time. I struggle with this concept because I can shift in and out of 2WD and 4HI Full-Time (unlocked) on the FLY while driving 15-50 mph.... and 4HI/4LO Part-Time (locked) on my Jeep Cherokee classic.

I've driven around town in 4HI Full-Time during wet weather and I can't imagine doing this all the time.... BIG turn-off and probably why AWD eats so much gas and are dogs on the road.

Too bad Jeep stopped making the mid-size Cherokee with the I-6... they'd be selling them by the truck loads right now.

A K&N won't do much.... a Gibson exhaust system may help some. The problem is lack of torque not HP.

What's that old saying?? Torque is what wins races, pulls boats, etc... HP is what everyone brags about. Anyway, it goes something like that.

A K&N won't do much.... a Gibson exhaust system may help some. The problem is lack of torque not HP.

What's that old saying?? Torque is what wins races, pulls boats, etc... HP is what everyone brags about. Anyway, it goes something like that.

Torque is what gets you out of the hole. Horsepower gets you through the quarter mile.

To get anything that weights almost 5000 pounds to move fast off the line, you need a lot of torque. Toyota design this engine with that in mind.

Just wondering if anyone on this forum have use a K & N air filter for their GX. I had one in my old MDX and it increase gas mileage by about 5%, I am thinking about putting one in my new GX.

Torque is what gets you out of the hole. Horsepower gets you through the quarter mile.

Granted.

The question remains.... which would rather have, more torque or more HP?

Granted.

The question remains.... which would rather have, more torque or more HP?

Off the line and accelarating from stop, I would rather have more torque, for the quarter mile, I would rather have more horse power.

The lack of torque isnt this the case with most European cars. Had the same experience with a BMW having with the lexus. When pulled away from a

light it was hard for the car to get out of its own way. Many 4 cyl could

easily keep you from merging over. However if had enough stretch

that BMW would pick up some good speed.

Like mentioned above my Avalanche while bigger, and running about

the same hp, seems to get off the line better.

• 5 months later...

The Gx 470 has only 235 hp but has plenty of torque 320 ft lbs. I don't think there is a lack of torque. I think the GX has good acceleration for a 4700 lb SUV. My other car is a M5 so I do have a good judgement of fast. ;)

The Gx 470 has only 235 hp but has plenty of torque 320 ft lbs. I don't think there is a lack of torque. I think the GX has good acceleration for a 4700 lb SUV. My other car is a M5 so I do have a good judgement of fast. ;)

Agreed! My other car is a 996TT.

BTW...the Z06 vette... 505 hp at 6300 rpm and 470 lb.-ft. of torque at 4800 rpm

The one I heard is "Horsepower sells cars, torque wins races."

I'd rather have more torque. The Toyota/Hino 4.2L turbo diesel in the landcruiser has a little more torque than the V8, but gets 20 mpg.

Are you quality 91 octane gas? My LX was sluggish using the dealer's freebie gas. After that tank, I put in chevron 91 and it's a noticeably quicker off the line. You can get an AVO intercooled turbo kit for the 2UZ V8 that gives 100 hp more plus 100 ft-lbs more torque. Cost is $10K. It's fast, even at altitude.

Going to make some assumptions on your performance issues so bear with me if you've already addressed them:

1. Be sure you are not in Gear 4, but "D". I had borrow my GX and he drove it from Corpus to McAllen on "4"...and had the audacity to complain about mileage and gas consumption! Needless to say, he will use a rental next time. Shifting from 4 to D (Overdrive) is way too easy.

2. Be sure your small shifter is on "H" and not "L" which gives more low end torque for the messy stuff.

My previous vehicle was a 99 ML 430 and was a snail compared the the GX. Good luck.

I am not sure what you are talking about as I had a 4runner and the GX has better acceleartion

then the 4runner (I had a 2000 4runner Limited )... I had two GXs 03 and 06 and 03 actually had better acceleartion then the 06 which has more HP... well perhaps they are exactly the same. That also might be due to transmission not yet fully getting used to my driving... all in all the GX is quite fast... make sure you use Premium Gas... you want acceleartion get a TRD Supercharger. 0-60 in 7 secs...

The first time really had the GX out on a 2 lane road where passing power

is important. The 05 4 Runner 2WD had allot more pep.

Oh the GX will eventually get going but its gradual. That all wheel drive

really eats up the power. To bad cant be a select 4WD. If had spent

enough time behind the wheel of one, this would have been the deal

breaker. I would have gotten another 4 Runner 2WD. Even my larger

Avalanche has more kickdown to move on around.