1992 Lexus Es 300 Still Running

I must say my 1992 lexus es is still running great ..Keeping mantance up is not cheap...I am getting ready to have the vehicle serviced and is excpected to cost 1200-1500 dollers for repairs..How many miles has any one put on the original engine and trans.?The vehicle had a bad miss and would not run at about 147,000 miles and had a complete tune -up @ the cost of 400.00

My machanic has noticed a few oil leaks. My needle lights are burnt out..I am having a lexus dealership do my timing belt service and the other maintence work such as the valve pan covers from my local mechanic and buying the parts on-line for a more reasonable price then the lexus dealership.I really cant say much about this car have not had it long but for a few months . But it seems it was well maintaned . My airbag light is now staying on and not sure why, guess I will have to have that looked at also.I must say Lexus knows how to make a car.

I believe the airbag light is on because it has pased 10 years. Im pretty sure that after 10 years you have to get the airbag checked, and every 2 years after that... it should say somewhere in the car. as for the mechanical stuff... im not sure :)

~Brian~

the needles is a commen thing with the es and has been discussed several times on here.as for the air bag light it probably just needs to be reset by the dealer and thats all.as long as you keep up on the car you will be fine.

just make sure to change the oil alot and keep up on everything else.you should get another 100,000 out of it if you keep up on it.i also would recommend a trans flush and filter if you plan on keeping it awhile.

the airbag light will only remain light if there is a problem and will auto reset after 6 key cycles ( or driving trips )of 20 seconds

so you do have a problem if it stay on

personnaly i would use the toyota parts rather than aftermarket as i find the durability and engineering in the original parts to far exceed others

for a few bucks more

thats funny- i had a 92 ES, red, with about that many miles on it (when it went to the big car lot in the sky, that is), but it was an extremely good car up to that point.sounds like you're havin all the usual problems that come with the older models. i did replace the valve cover gaskets and spark plugs and wires not long b4 my wreck, and it ran like new again. it was so good that i bought another one after i totalled that one. as for the airbag, i only had the light come on once after we had worked on the car. when we disconnected the battery, for some reason, the main airbag relay blew, but we replaced it and the light went off. as for repalcing the components every 10 years, mine was that old when i had my accident, and it probably helped a great deal in saving my life.... but anyhow, thats just your call i guess. hey-it all worked on mine, so what can i say?!. :)

the 10 year inspection is just to have a tech look at all the components

as lexus figure they would age in about 14 years so get you to come 2 years early

they don't replace anything unless it is bad

i wondered about it and then i noticed the section of the lexus service manuals that said it is just an inspection

I bought my 92 ES with 120K and drove it up to 145K until recently selling it. For a car that age, it still drove very well. The main things I needed to have done while I had it was replacing the radiator, having the tranny flushed, new set of tires, and buying a new battery. The A/C continued to be ice cold up until we said goodbye (very important here in So Cal).

My needle lights did burn out, power windows slowed down quite a bit, emergency brake gave out, ABS light was on constantly for no apparent reason, but it was still a great car up until the "end".

No regrets whatsoever. :)