How To Remove Head Restraint?

javapda

Raise the headrest all the way then run a 2 by 4 under it. With a good size hammer bang up on the wood and the headrest will pop off.

are you for real? :blink: a little brutal isnt it? i mean, what did your car ever do to you? :P

Ok get in there and grab it with both hands and pull up really hard. Hurt your back or whatever. It pops right off with my method. Mechanics know all the tricks on getting tough stuff apart.

Javapda, I dont know how old you are or how much experience you have working with cars but you have to learn that using a little force is the way a lot of things come apart, especially on cars. You will never get a ball joint apart etc. without applied force. I'm a mechanic but I didn't know how to get the headrests off either. I asked my Lexus contact at the dealer how to do it and he told me this method. It worked good and I was able to install my sheepskin seat covers. I am impressed with the fact that you are hesitant to believe every post here. Not everyone knows it all on these boards. Including me. Being a mechanic

30 years gives me an edge but I didn't work on Lexus cars every day, so I ask a lot of questions also. I fixed my car a couple times already by getting the answers here.

• 4 months later...

Javapda, I dont know how old you are or how much experience you have working with cars but you have to learn that using a little force is the way a lot of things come apart, especially on cars. You will never get a ball joint apart etc. without applied force. I'm a mechanic but I didn't know how to get the headrests off either. I asked my Lexus contact at the dealer how to do it and he told me this method. It worked good and I was able to install my sheepskin seat covers. I am impressed with the fact that you are hesitant to believe every post here. Not everyone knows it all on these boards. Including me. Being a mechanic

30 years gives me an edge but I didn't work on Lexus cars every day, so I ask a lot of questions also. I fixed my car a couple times already by getting the answers here.

KennyR - yes, I am new to this care and I LOVE my LS400. Thanks for your feedback! :blushing: