Dunlop 5000 Tire Performance

scubadvr2001

I have about 20,000 miles on the Dunlop 5000's I have on my 00 LS. Exactly what do you mean when you say that "their performance on wet pavement is very poor."

Although I think the dry pavement noise is too high, the Dunlop 5000's perform as well as any other all season tires I have put on an LS over the past 15 years. 290 hp on our cars is quite a bunch. When it is wet, it can be difficult to keep from spinning the rear wheels when taking off from a stop.

By default, "traction control" on the earlier LS was on by default - this reduced the amount of wheel spinning when moving away from a stop.

Beginning in 1998 (somebody please correct me if I am wrong!), "snow mode" (the "new" traction control) was off by default. This change can mean more rear wheel spinning in the wet if you are not gentle with the throttle or turn snow mode on.

I sometimes move the selector switch to "snow" mode when it is raining just to keep rear wheel spinning down. "Snow" mode doesn't have to be only for when it is snowing.

I have winter wheels and tires and have decided that my next set of summer tires will not be all season tires. Instead, I am going to focus on noise level.

These factory tires are not very highly rated for both snow & wet traction. Here are the stats currently:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...romCompare1=yes

Scuba, do you have the 17 or 18" factory size tire & what exactly are you looking for in a replacement? :unsure: The more specific you can be, the better we will be able to suggest the correct tires for you to consider. B)

:cheers: