Tranny Issues

ko90ls

after recently performing a tranny fluid flush, every thing is better, shifts are smoother, no crunches or hard jumps but my car stalls after slight pressure on the gas pedal. my friend was with me last night and thinks that the tranny is slipping. i drive the car everyday and know that the rear(only) tires are very bald, no coin support at all, gravel will actually stick to the tires which are originally too small for the car and very old, and actually feel like i'm riding on glass. i think that the tranny is stronger and the tires now are now obsolete. my reasoning is how can the tranny fail after a fluid flush when everything else is better? but he's sure that my tranny is slipping.

i'd rather get a professional opinion so i asked the LOC :cheers:

p.s. will be getting new tires tonite

You're positive you've got enough tranny fluid in there, not too little, not too much? You did use oem toyota fluid too right?

always! toyota T4 fluid, removed about 8.5ltrs added 8.5ltrs

one more thing, ehwn stopped at a light or cornering the issue will increase, fishtailing on fast corners and such, but while stopped and the car is cold the car will often lurch forward and jerk slightly while the rpm's are going up, but after a seemless shift into neutral the issue stops

i think it's official. :cries: when i shift into reverse, nothing; drive, nothing; 2nd gear, nothing; 1st gear, nothing; the car will still move but i have to hold the gas pedal aggressively for only minimal movement. gonna see how much repair will cost, but may replace myself?

i'll keep posted :cheers:

are you getting any sort of smells from the car? like burning fluids, or gasoline? Here is what I think, but don't take my word for it because I'm only going off of what I've read, not experienced.

1)Clogged cat convert(s) or something along the exhaust can do this. Usually has a gas smell

2) tranny fluid not right, too much, too little, wrong kind.

3) fuel filter bad, not getting enough fuel into the engine.

I would think if the tranny is actually going bad and you have some sort of gear mesh lockup, you'd hear some sort of noise(s) that would no doubt identify itself. But to me, it sounds like either fuel delivery problem or exhaust blockage.

• 1 month later...

Was your tranny having any problems before you flushed it?? I have a LS with 200k miles and fluid was changed 100K ago!!

Car shifts very well and there is no slip. Just wondering if I should flush it completely or just do a drain and refill.

i think it's official.  :cries:  when i shift into reverse, nothing; drive, nothing; 2nd gear, nothing; 1st gear, nothing; the car will still move but i have to hold the gas pedal aggressively for only minimal movement. gonna see how much repair will cost, but may replace myself?

i'll keep posted :cheers:

always! toyota T4 fluid, removed about 8.5ltrs added 8.5ltrs

one more thing, ehwn stopped at a light or cornering the issue will increase, fishtailing on fast corners and such, but while stopped and the car is cold the car will often lurch forward and jerk slightly while the rpm's are going up, but after a seemless shift into neutral the issue stops

i had an issue like this with my 91 and it turned out one of my ignition coils were bad i got a new coil and the problem was solved. but in your next post you say that the car does nothing in all gears and from my experience it sounds like your tranny might need a rebuild, b/c i also had that happen to me. check to see if your tranny is leaking. i basikcally did NO maintenance on my first ls and i paid out my pocket dearly which i dont plan to do with the one i have now.

hey guys thanks for the concern but i got the car diagnoses and it was determined that the tranny was actually welded together in some places! :lol: what a trip! the bad part was the cost, but just for anyone who may be curious i found used trannies (A34E) for $600 online, sure beats the 2600 plus 1000 core that the stealer wanted or the $2-3000 quote i recieved by just saying that i owned a lexus. hope nobody was to get a new tranny but if so then online junkers is the way to go!

thanks for all the support :cheers:

that's what the guy at the place said... "your tranny is actually welded to the torque converter!" :lol: c-r-a-z-y, but i really don't know cuz he seemed kinda funny... <_< like he was going to charge me extra just cuz i was young guy, but in the end everything worked out! total cost:$1000+tax