Best/inexpensive Steering Wheel/pedal Lock

Geo

Ok, Ok, I got a boring old 99 rolla but I figured it is time to put something to prevent it from being stolen. I know that there is really not a great steering wheel/pedal lock but.... what would you guys buy if you had to ? I don't want to bother with a sound alarm system since everybody ignores tham now days. I want to make the bad guy move on to a "easier" car. George

Splice a switch into any ignition wire, mount it in the carpet down to the left of the seat where it's inconspicuous to flip.

A perfect example is the IGF signal . If the ECU doesn't get the firing confirmation<s> from the coil<s>. The ECU will only tell the coils to fire for a few revolutions.

Cranks, stalls, cranks, stalls, cranks, stalls. No damage

Just don't confuse IGF with IGT.

IGF = confirmation from the coil to the ECU that the coil discharged.

IGT = ignition dwell sent from the ECU to the coil telling it to charge & fire.

The difference is that IGT is heavily influenced by the resistance on the line. The more resistance, the longer the dwell, so the longer the ignition coil charges. If it get's too long for the rpm, the coil burns out.

IGF doesn't really matter. So long as the ECU get's something, it knows the coil has fired.

Ok, Ok, I got a boring old 99 rolla but I figured it is time to put something to prevent it from being stolen. I know that there is really not a great steering wheel/pedal lock but.... what would you guys buy if you had to ? I don't want to bother with a sound alarm system since everybody ignores tham now days. I want to make the bad guy move on to a "easier" car. George

I have an autolock (on top of my factory alarm & engine immobilizer) which attaches to the brake pedal only (the steering wheel can be cut so the brake pedal/steering wheel device is a waste) which is the strongest part of the car.

http://www.unbreakable.com/Unbreakable_Auto_BL.htm

Available at most popular auto parts stores.

No car is theft proof however.......as mburn has mentioned, it they want it bad enough, they will get a flatbed for it etc......it is however a something that might make a potential thief move onto another vehicle that is easier to steal so if they did take a car with the autolock already on, I wish them the best of luck getting the device off. One should always have theft insurance. B)

:cheers: