Looking To Urchase Lx450 Or Land Cruiser

agc

Hey guys,

I am a frequent poster on the LS forum (I have a 2000 LS400) and have been thinking about getting a used LX450. I am looking specifically for a 96-97 model (due to budget). Can you tell me how much a 96-97 model with under 80k miles going to cost me.

Now for the basic question, how reliable are these trucks, I hear the Land Cruisers are very reliable is this true for the LX450 also. What should I look out for when buying one, problem areas, most likely to break and lastly how do they ride (drive)

Thanks all for your help

Excellent trucks. I have a 97 WITH 101K MILES. It still drives like it was new. Overall they have a slightly bouncy ride that can be modified with a stiffer tire. Do a search there is alot of info on here. Iv'e basically leased every Lexus they made. I bought the LX because I always enjoyed driving it. Its just a brute. I think what your looking for should be in the $12-14k range. Definitely woth that and more. Make sure its has the center diff option . Can be found on the left side of the steering wheel on the dash.. Good Luck

What is the center diff option

There is no center diff. option. All 80 series LC's and LX450 have a locking center differential, which automatically locks in low range, unless you've added a center diff. lock switch and have done the pin 7 mod. With this done, you have the flexibility to lock the center diff in low or high range, or leave it unlock in low range (pin 7 mod.).

I believe what lexus411 if referring to is locking front and rear differentials (the little knob to the left of the steering wheel). This option was available on something like 7 to 10% of these production vehicles. It's a nice option and is the difference between have one of the best production 4wd vehicles, and the best production 4wd vehicle. They're harder to find, but if you do, there's usually not much of a premium for them because most people don't know what they do anyways.

Besides the plush amenities, these are some of the most sturdy, rugged (sp?) vehicles you can buy. Some of the things to watch out for besides the obvious (excessive rust, poor maintenance history, poorly maintained, wrecks) :

1) weeping birfields. These are fulltime 4wd vehicles and the front axle requires a little more attention than your typical 2wd vehicles. Front axle services run about $1000 if you have it done or $250 if you do it yourself. At this mileage, you should plan on having it done, or ask if it has been done.

2) Head gasket failure. This is a possible achielles heel for these vehicles. A poll done on another cruiser site reported about 15% of vehicles having to replace the head gasket. The critical component of this is a well maintained coolant system... annual coolant flushes, a properly operating T-stat, a properly operating fan clutch.

You'll probably go through brake pads quicker than your used to, so learn how to change you own brakes. It's too easy.

You should be able to pick up one cheaper now that gas prices are soaring. A typically well maintained stock 80 gets about 14-15 mpg.

Good Luck.

Rookie

How do these LX compare to GM Suburban/Yukon trucks

They don't. You may like the power better with the dometics, until you're stuck on the side of the road. There's just no comparison between the quality of these vehicles. Go get in an 8 year old LX and an 8 year old Cheby, and you be the judge.

Thanks, I thought the same thing. I currently have a 2000 LS400 and all I can say is WOW, it is a great car.

The only reason I ask is I am looking at a 97 LX450 for about $13.5k (80k miles) and for that price I can probably get a 99-01 GMC/Chevy full size. So it made me think that maybe I should buy the newer american suv instead but am not convinced. I bought my LS 7 months ago and love it, it is my first Lexus.

Other than the two issues Rookie pointed out, the heater hose (aka, pesky heater hose or PHH since it's in a nearly impossible to reach location) should definitely be replaced (maybe every 60K mi along w/ the birfield repack) since failure of that hose can lead to some serious problems. The head gasket problem is most of the time due to poor cooling system maintenance...maybe as innoculous as inadvertently mixing red and green coolants (sludges up the radiator). I've heard of cases of head gaskets failing on LC's as low as 60K miles on '96-'97's. Also, the pre '95 LC's have the more expensive and better brass 3-row core radiator and heavier-duty transmission while the later models use the 2-row aluminum, so you might want to buy a new radiator (like $450). The new head gaskets reportedly are made of a better material, too. The new parts for a birfield repack should run $150 or so (Toyota dealer will charge around $800 parts+labor, Lexus dealer is $1200, as this is a big job but can be done by yourself in a weekend). On the IFS LC100's/LX470's, you only need to repack the inner/outer bearings, as there is no birfield joint. Also, the rear axle is a semi-floater rather than the full floater on the 80. The FF is better for carrying heavy loads, but requires you repack those bearings, too, while you do nothing w/ the semi-floater. I'm not trying to scare you away or anything, but just realize that the LC80/LX450 does require some maintenance that the newer LC 100/LX470's don't (e.g., the newer ones require you to change the timing belt every 90K mi while the 80/LX450 has a timing chain good for 300K mi).

Do you think $13.5k is a good price for a 97 LX450, 70k miles, origianl owner, all service records, black/tan, interior suppose to be in excellent condition and exterior have a few dings. Also the truck needs new brakes and rotor.

• 3 months later...