Major Problems, Need Major Help.

jim_darci

I have searched endlessly on these forums to come to the conclusion that there is no help (or I should say) no definitive help. So I am making a post.

Let's start here. I live in Tampa Bay area and can't find a mechanic (except for Lexus or Toyota to work on my car). The only guy willing to work on my car told me he thought this issue was a transmission issue. Whn I finish the post you will understand why I disagree.

I made the mistake of cleaning my Engine with Engine Brite and then spraying it down with a hose. Not a good idea on a 92 lexus sc300. I thought I just had water in my distributor. Took the advice of family and opened the hood and let the hot Florida sun do it's work in drying it out. No avail. It started and ran, but when we got back from the test drive, my catalytic converter and manifold were glowing a nice bright orange (yes, almost on fire). Now, my car will turn over , but will not start. I am fresh out of college and have very little money to be dumping into my car. Please help, I am lost and have no clue on this current situation.

Thanks in advance.

I think it's a coinsidence that your manifold and converter are glowing after an engine cleaning. It would appear that your converter is bad. Any competent shop should be able to verify if this is the case. Check to see if any fuses are blown also.

Hey, check my old thread over on the LS forum. Same thing EXACTLY happened to me after I hosed off the engine. It's probably an ignition problem - too much unburned fuel. I checked the plugs, wires, cap, rotor, all appeared high and dry but I found out (after I sold the car) that after changing the wires the problem was solved. Kind of confused me because when I tested each wire the resistance was good and I thoroughly sprayed the plugs/wires with Dialectric Spray. Don't drive your car until it is solved and hopefully your Catalytic Converter isn't toast.

I doubt it is an o2 problem as they are not working when the engine is in open loop for cold starting.Otherwise ti would start and run fine.

If the cat is glowing you know you are gettting too much fuel.

The only ways to get too much fuel is a bad plug ,wire,coil or an open injector.

BTW you never wash an engine with the car turned off.

You can spray the cleaner with it off but putting water and expecting it to not pool is just plain dumb.