2000 Rx300, Any Pitfalls?

JeffR

My father wants to buy an older RX300 so he doesnt have to drive his LS during the winter. It is a 2000, it is in excellent condition, it only has 14,000 miles on it.

The question is, are there any problems with the 2000 year model? Any transmission problems with the AWD's or the navigation systems or anything else we should know about? Thanks!

I have to be honest, I am leaning toward talking him out of it, and maybe going with an Acura MDX or a BMW X5. After a few searches I found that these cars have an alarmingly high incidence of transmission failures. And Im pretty sure this car would be out of warranty by now.

The Rx300's premature transaxle failures are the result of the need to downshift upon acceleration but without adequate hydraulic pressure present. So the engine developes acceleration torque quickly (the gas pedla is mechanically coupled to the throttle butterfly) and the the downshift clutches slip initially due to the lack of high pressure to force them fully and firmly engaged.

This appears to occur in the range of 70,000 to 80,000 miles at the earliest.

And I have come to believe that since toyota is well aware of the problem there exists an unspoken warranty policy to cover these early failures.

But do make him aware of the propensity of the climate control system to suddenly fog over the interior surface of the windshield in these vehicles.

Google for demist defog & denso for more on this.

I have to be honest, I am leaning toward talking him out of it, and maybe going with an Acura MDX or a BMW X5. After a few searches I found that these cars have an alarmingly high incidence of transmission failures. And Im pretty sure this car would be out of warranty by now.

01-02 MDX has tranny problems too :chairshot: pick your poison if you choose to stay Japanese

01-02 MDX has tranny problems too :chairshot:  pick your poison if you choose to stay Japanese

Yeah, I saw that. However the MDX has had a recall issued, and Acura will repair/replace the faulty transmission parts. That is a little more pro-active than Lexus has been with regard to the RX300. I'd just love for him to have that RX because it's such a great price. But all the stories of tranny failures, and people having to pay for them out of pocket has creeped me out a little.

We've battled transmission failure, rear main oil seal leak, cracked exhaust manifold, multiple oxygen sensors dying, strut mount rubber bushings improperly designed and installed, and a few other problems on my wife's 2000 RX300 AWD, all on a vehicle that has been meticulously maintained (like all of our vehicles are). After much prodding from me, our local Lexus dealership stepped up to the plate and fixed these issues as they arose without charging me anything. Some of these failures occured very early, however (the transmission failed at 48,000 miles).

This has been the most problematic vehicle I've ever owned, and I've owned 20+ vehicles since the early 1970s. Based upon our experiences, I would never recommend an RX300 to anyone.

Good luck with your decision, whatever it is.

01-02 MDX has tranny problems too :chairshot:  pick your poison if you choose to stay Japanese

Yeah, I saw that. However the MDX has had a recall issued, and Acura will repair/replace the faulty transmission parts. That is a little more pro-active than Lexus has been with regard to the RX300. I'd just love for him to have that RX because it's such a great price. But all the stories of tranny failures, and people having to pay for them out of pocket has creeped me out a little.

Yep, I have a 2nd generation Acura TL and replaced the tranny about 87k. But the replacement tranny is the same design, improper cooling of the 3rd gear cluth pack. Acura only have warranty for replacement tranny for 12k.

If you go for MDX, maybe try 2003 later, at least it is not on recall. For the X5, I heard it has electrical problems that is very typical of BMW, e.g. doors won't open. Plus BringMoneyWithyou high maintenance/repair cost. Lexus and Acura at least have Toyota and Honda to fall back for big ticket item such as timing belt replacement.

TL and MDX have the same accord platform tranny and both have an amazing amount of failures.

The RX has tranny to look at and make sure it has fluid changes as well as good insurance to get an inline filter.

Only other thing is to have a motorvac every year or so to clean the carbon in the intake especially .