96 Es300 Engine Problem

element51

Driving yesterday night, i noticed that my engine was a little bit louder than usual. Gradually, it grew louder and louder. Then i stopped by Dunkin donuts, got a coffee, turned my car on, and now it sounds like the 5.0 liter mustang that wakes up the whole neighborhood at night. (which i did). Anyway, what can it be, beside the muffler?

Driving yesterday night, i noticed that my engine was a little bit louder than usual.  Gradually, it grew louder and louder.  Then i stopped by Dunkin donuts, got a coffee, turned my car on, and now it sounds like the 5.0 liter mustang that wakes up the whole neighborhood at night.  (which i did).  Anyway, what can it be, beside the muffler?

Y pipe. Notorious for cracking, Have the engine mounts checked also.

Driving yesterday night, i noticed that my engine was a little bit louder than usual.  Gradually, it grew louder and louder.  Then i stopped by Dunkin donuts, got a coffee, turned my car on, and now it sounds like the 5.0 liter mustang that wakes up the whole neighborhood at night.  (which i did).  Anyway, what can it be, beside the muffler?

how do you check the y-pipe? is it something i can easily replace myself, or would it be hard without a lift?

how do you check the y-pipe? is it something i can easily replace myself, or would it be hard without a lift?

You will need a lift, It is the pipe where the two exhaust manifolds go into one before it goes back.

I took the car to my mechanic, and it was the y-pipe. the metal mesh part had broken off from the rest of the pipe, so the gases werent even going as far as the cat. Thanks for all your help, guys! cost me $165 to cut that piece out and weld a new one in. The car is quieter than ever, but now i have to do something about those noisy, worn out tires......

I took the car to my mechanic, and it was the y-pipe.  the metal mesh part had broken off from the rest of the pipe, so the gases werent even going as far as the cat.  Thanks for all your help, guys!  cost me $165 to cut that piece out and weld a new one in.  The car is quieter than ever, but now i have to do something about those noisy, worn out tires......

Michelins..............

The car is quieter than ever, but now i have to do something about those noisy, worn out tires......

Goodyear Triple Treads..... B) Here ya go:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...re1=yes&place=4

Best premium all seasons available for the ES. ;)

:cheers:

The car is quieter than ever, but now i have to do something about those noisy, worn out tires......

Goodyear Triple Treads..... B) Here ya go:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...re1=yes&place=4

Best premium all seasons available for the ES. ;)

Michelin's ;)

Michelin's 

Michelin's 

Michelin's 

Michelin's

Whoa guys, i mean i like my lexus and all, but I'm just a poor college student trying to pay off my insurance. Any reccomendations for $50 tires? I was thinking maybe some Yokohama's?

Michelins will be WAY out of your price range (decent tires, but frankly overpriced). :rolleyes: ;) Two other possibilities would be the new Yokohama Avid TRZ or the Falken Ziex ZE-512 (only the Yoko's are sold on tirerackl however). I know from experence the Falkens are just fantastic (made by Sumitimo), but no personal experence with the new Yoko's......but they look pretty good. Falken's are good for 60,000 miles & will be slightly less expensive & the Yokos are good for 80,000 miles. Both are in & around your price range. Here is some more info:

http://www.falkentire.com/tires_512.htm

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...eModel=AVID+TRZ

Michelin's 

Michelin's 

Michelin's 

Michelin's

Whoa guys, i mean i like my lexus and all, but I'm just a poor college student trying to pay off my insurance. Any reccomendations for $50 tires? I was thinking maybe some Yokohama's?

Michelins will be WAY out of your price range (decent tires, but frankly overpriced). :rolleyes: ;) Two other possibilities would be the new Yokohama Avid TRZ or the Falken Ziex ZE-512 (only the Yoko's are sold on tirerackl however). I know from experence the Falkens are just fantastic (made by Sumitimo), but no personal experence with the new Yoko's......but they look pretty good. Falken's are good for 60,000 miles & will be slightly less expensive & the Yokos are good for 80,000 miles. Both are in & around your price range. Here is some more info:

http://www.falkentire.com/tires_512.htm

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...eModel=AVID+TRZ

I know the yoko's are supposed to be quiet, but what about quietness for the falkens? My friend says that they are great for some cheap performance, but i have no idea of their comfort or noise levels.