Replacing Standard Taillights With Led's?

luxury1

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did a search for this but couldn't find instrcutions and part numbers.  Does anyone know how to replace the standard taillights with the LED's found on the RX400?

Thanks! :cheers:

www.lextech.org Might build you a custom set. Ask for Brian and tell him I sent you. His Handle on these forums is LLS.

I did a search for this but couldn't find instrcutions and part numbers.  Does anyone know how to replace the standard taillights with the LED's found on the RX400?

Thanks! :cheers:

The tail lights on the rx330 are LED's too. The lights on the 400h just "look" different. I'm sure if you wanted the one for the 400h would fit the 330...

Thanks for the quick reply guys! I definitely don't need a set built but was wondering if I could just plug and play the set from the RX400? By the way LexKid, I didn't even know that the current are LED's... I thought they were bulbs. I am losing it!

Thanks for the quick reply guys!  I definitely don't need a set built but was wondering if I could just plug and play the set from the RX400?  By the way LexKid, I didn't even know that the current are LED's... I thought they were bulbs.  I am losing it!

Yeah, the rear tail lights (red only; meaning not directionals or back-up) are LED's not bulbs. You can tell because how "instantly" they go on. Since there's no filiment the light is "instant" while bulbs take longer to burn as bright...It's hard to explain, but LED's go on quicker...

And the 400h uses LED's as well, it's just that the whole unit looks different.

Actually the taillights on the RX330 are not LEDs, they just sort of look like LEDs because of how the reflectors are set up.

The taillights on the RX400h are LED, and they should just plug right up but don't quote me on that...

Actually the taillights on the RX330 are not LEDs, they just sort of look like LEDs because of how the reflectors are set up.

The taillights on the RX400h are LED, and they should just plug right up but don't quote me on that...

The tail lights on the rx330 do use LED's. There is just one big one in the middle of each big circle area. The reflector just "makes" it look like there are more than one Led. the only bulbs in the tail light unit are directional and back-up lights.

........RX330...........RX400h (below)

post-13420-1124998547_thumb.jpg

post-13420-1124998706_thumb.jpg

Just called my dealer, according to them the stoplights are normal double filament bulbs but according to Sylvania they're LED.

Hmm...gonna have to do some investigating on this one! They look like normal bulbs to me.

Just called my dealer, according to them the stoplights are normal double filament bulbs but according to Sylvania they're LED.

Hmm...gonna have to do some investigating on this one! They look like normal bulbs to me.

From afar they look like normal bulbs, because you can't see "it"..but believe me that's an LED in there not a regular bulb...

Bulbs don't have the ability to emit light that "instant" light that LED's can do.

Two ways you can tell: the color (LED's are brighter and more red in this case)....and the "instant" on and off. The filament in a bulb takes longer to heat up and go off.

So this leads me to my original question. How can I swap out the original regular bulb for the LED fixture on the 400H. In my search I saw that someone referenced people that did this. I know on my E class people were doing this but I recall there being a computer reprogramming given the difference in power required but I may be mistaken.

So this leads me to my original question.  How can I swap out the original regular bulb for the LED fixture on the 400H.  In my search I saw that someone referenced people that did this.  I know on my E class people were doing this but I recall there being a computer reprogramming given the difference in power required but I may be mistaken.

I'm sorry but i still can't figure out what you are trying to do? Do you want to remove the WHOLE light fixture out of the rx330, and put in a light fixture of a 400h? or do you just want to take out the LED (well bulb as some think) in the rx330?

And not like these people know anything, but....

http://www.cardesignnews.com/autoshows/200...exus-rx330.html

hit Control+F and type in LED

Regular filament bulbs don't even have the ABILITY to emit the instant light that i can clearly see on the rx330 tail lights. It doesn't create any heat, it's an LED NOT a bulb...I hate to continue arguing but....It's an LED LOL

for all of you that own an rx330..get someone to sit in the drivers seat and press on the brake...look at the tail lights when they come on! They're "instant" Then ask them to tap on it a few times..it's so obvious they're not bulbs.

Actually, all of you are correct. This was discussed ad naueseum in either this forum or the CL Forum. The "primary" red tail light in the center of the cluster is a standard filament bulb (can't recall the exact size, but it's listed in the owner's manual). However, surrounding that bulb are several (~6) red LEDs. They are never mentioned in any documentation because they are not replaceable, nor are they easily accessible.

But to prove this, all you need to do is access the lighting assemblies from the rear (as if you were going to replace a bulb). You will be able to pull out the incandescent bulb, proving one of you was right. But in addition, if you look carefully at the assembly, you will see a PCB board that controls the LEDs. If you look even more closely, the board will say exactly the type and number of LEDs and other information as well.

Months ago, I argued strenuously on one of these boards that there were no LEDs, and then had to eat crow when someone disassembled their light assembly, took a detailed photo of the PCB, and posted it. If you search long enough, I'm sure you'll find it (here or on CL).

I'm sorry but i still can't figure out what you are trying to do? Do you want to remove the WHOLE light fixture out of the rx330, and put in a light fixture of a 400h? or do you just want to take out the LED (well bulb as some think) in the rx330?

Sorry about the ambiguity! What I want to do is make the taillights on my RX330 look exactly like the RX400H. I think it looks great!

Sorry about the ambiguity! What I want to do is make the taillights on my RX330 look exactly like the RX400H. I think it looks great!

Ok i understand now....The first thing you need to do is find out IF the rx400h tail lights will fit and work correctly on the rx330 (which sorry, i'm not aware the answer of).

The next thing you need to do is buy some tail lights for the rx400h. And then install them on your rx330.

Hope this helps1 ;)

That makes sense, the parts guy at my dealer said "There are some LEDs in there, but they are bulbs"

I can buy that...All i know is that there "are" Led's in there by the way the light looks. I didn't know that there was a bulb too! That's weird isn't it LOL

First, the human eye cannot distinquish between the 100 nanoseconds it takes a LED bulb to illuminate vs the tens of milliseconds for an incandescent filament.

But if you simply wish to replace your incandescent bulbs with brighter and lower wattage LED substitutes then go to superbrightleds.com for inexpensive one or ledtronics.com for more expensive "upscale" ones.

But be aware that the bulb failure diagnostic on the instrument panel will indicate a failed bulb unless you add a resister in parallel with the new LED bulbs or change the current flow sensing resistor within the ECU modules.

First, the human eye cannot distinquish between the 100 nanoseconds it takes a LED bulb to illuminate vs the tens of milliseconds for an incandescent filament.

actually it can. If you ever find yourself behind an rx330, watch how the lights go on and off when they use their brakes. Then follow an average car and watch how "unbelievably" slow they go on. It's best if you have an rx330 and a reg. car next to each other.

you can also see this when cars have a 3rd brake light on a spoiler. At first you'll say that the spoiler and tail lights are not in sync with each other...when it's just that the LED's light up to 100% quicker than a bulb can..

i hate to continue arguig with everyone, i just know the difference between an LED and a bulb LOL

I thought I stated the "difference" between LEDs and incandescents very well. There is a reason you cannot see the screen in front of you going on and off rapidly. Now wave your hand in front of you, between you eyes and the screen to see what I mean.

I thought I stated the "difference" between LEDs and incandescents very well. There is a reason you cannot see the screen in front of you going on and off rapidly. Now wave your hand in front of you, between you eyes and the screen to see what I mean.

LED's don't work the same way as traditional filament bulbs. Therefore the light emitted isn't the same either.

The light-production process of a bulb involves generating a lot of heat (the filament must be warmed to emit light). This is completely wasted energy.

LED's (light emitting diodes) don't work like this AT ALL. Unlike ordinary incandescent bulbs, they don't have a filament that will burn out, and they don't get especially hot. This means that mostly all the electricity (e-'s) to the LED turn into visible light. They are illuminated by the movement of electrons (e-) in a semiconductor material found in an LED. THERE is NO filament what-so-ever in an LED. When electrons jump energy leves they emit light. Just like in lightning!!!! (speed of light) Therefore, the split instant electricity is added to an LED, light is emited at 100% (that the LED can stand). Bulbs take longer to warm up.

And our eyes CAN sense the difference between the time a bulb and an LED can light up 100%. It's minor, and if you JUST look at a bulb you'd say it was instant..but that's before you observe an LED.

All you have to do is watch an LED and a bulb light up at the same time next to each other. It's sooo obvious the difference!

Well I think we've established that Lex knows a lot more than we do about LEDs lol.

For the record I can definately tell the difference in how quickly and crisply LEDs light up, and shut off compared to traditional bulbs. The whole point to us seeing LED brake lights is because they light up faster affording us extra reaction time.

Well I think we've established that Lex knows a lot more than we do about LEDs lol.

For the record I can definately tell the difference in how quickly and crisply LEDs light up, and shut off compared to traditional bulbs. The whole point to us seeing LED brake lights is because they light up faster affording us extra reaction time.

What we need to think about now is if it's possible to put rx400h light fixtures on an rx330. That was the orgional question.

We found out that the rx330 uses both LED's and bulbs. But do the rx400h use a bulb at all? It would matter. I'm still not sure if the bulb and LED work as a double filament in the rx330.

On a normal car, each tail light bulb would contain 2 filaments...one for just "on" and the other filament would go on when the brakes are applied to make the whole light unit appear brighter. If the rx330 uses the bulb for "on" and LED's for brake, then we'll have a problem...

The 400h tail lights only have LED's. When the lights are just "on" x voltage is sent to them. when the brakes are applied, more voltage is sent to them to make them brighter....

Uf the rx330 and 400h units are wired differently, then i don't know if it would be a direct wiring procudure from the 330 to 400h...

My guess is that on the 330, the bulb is 2 filament, and the LED's are well, just LED's...When the lights are just "on" one filament in the bulb go on, and a little voltage is applied to the LED's. When the brake is applied, the other filament goes on, and more voltage is applied to the LED's

Again, i'm still unsure about how the rx330 tail lights work so i can't tell you if it is totally possible to make a direct plug and play.

I still don't know why they use a bulb in the tail lights of the rx330 ALONG with LED's. it makes NO sense to me what-so-ever....

Hope this helps..this will be an interesting project for you anyway! good luck!