Spark Plug Gap

Jacob

I want to replace my car’s spark plugs with Denso Iridium ones but I’m not sure about one thing. My car’s manual says that spark plugs should have a gap of 0.031” whereas Denso website lists the gap as 0.044”. Is this difference due to fact that my car came out of the factory with conventional spark plugs, and that iridium ones have to have this bigger gap? Or do I have to set the gap according to the one specified in the owner’s manual regardless of what type of spark plug I use?

Thanks,

96, LS400

I want to replace my car’s spark plugs with Denso Iridium ones but I’m not sure about one thing. My car’s manual says that spark plugs should have a gap of 0.031” whereas Denso website lists the gap as 0.044”. Is this difference due to fact that my car came out of the factory with conventional spark plugs, and that iridium ones have to have this bigger gap? Or do I have to set the gap according to the one specified in the owner’s manual regardless of what type of spark plug I use?

Thanks,

96, LS400

set them at oem specs

I was wondering this as well, but got a question regarding the TSB for the ECM unit replacement proceedure. I had my computer changed out by the dealer a year or so ago. The TSB indicates new spark plugs be put in, with a different part number from the original plugs. Anyone know the story on that? Here is the TSB in question.

41.pdf

guys you are thinking too hard! go to sparkplugs.com and lookup sparkplugs for your model and year! toyota tends to use the same specs for everything so the ones that came with the car are gonna be the ones that aftermarket manu's will make. more than likely your car came with denso platinum so of course denso would make plugs that are gapped to the correct settings, also go direct to denso's site and get the recremended plugs

:cheers: