03 Rx300 Ignition Screech At Start-up

LexKid630

Ocasionally when i try to start up our 03 rx300 it will make a loud whining/screech noise. it's the same sound as when you leave it in the start position too long, but i'm starting it normally.

I'll try to start it up and i'll hear this sound so i let go. I'll try it again and it will work fine... I keep forgetting to ask about it because it's only happened 3 times. But i really find it strange that i'm hearing this noise. It sounds like it's off the flywheel or something...

Anyone else know what's going on? Is this an emergency? It's under warranty but i want to know what the prob is before i take it all the way up to Inskip...and i guarantee that if i take it to the dealer it'll be a good little car and not make the noise LOL

thanks!

It's either the starter or the flywheel or both!  Expensive if not covered by a warranty.  Will probably get worse.

I'd make an appointment for the problem just to have a record of it for future reference. If it isn't documented, it never happened!

It's either the starter or the flywheel or both!  Expensive if not covered by a warranty.  Will probably get worse.

I'd make an appointment for the problem just to have a record of it for future reference. If it isn't documented, it never happened!

True that would be the best way to start...thanks that's good advice i'll call tomorrow...

What would they do to fix it? If they can't exactly witness the problem?

I agree with Bowtie and will add that the starter is most likely of the two. If the solenoid is going bad, it hangs out the gear that spins the flywheel. If the flywheel is cracked, it can "grab" the gear in the starter. Besides being most likely, the starter is easiest to replace.

I also had a Maxima a few years back that had the same issue. It started happening more often, etc. If you are about to be stranded because the car cant be started, try tapping firmly the starter with a hammer.

If not under warranty, it could get expensive. The Maxima would have cost $600 at the dealer, $400 at Goodyear or $130 for a lifetime warranty starter from a parts store---I saved $470 by taking 30 minutes and doing myself.

FYI, while shop manuals like Haynes may not be available for Lexus, I found the v-6 Camry manual works for fine for most general repairs.

Good luck.

i had the same problem on the 2003 ES300 once in awhile, and then it started happening more frequently. the day i took it to the dealer it was acting up and the service manager heard the squeaking on start-up. he had all the belts replaced under warranty, said the belts were warped, also tightened the bolts, and the squeaking went away.

You say it is the same noise but is it exactly the same or similar, have you checked the serpintine belt?

Is it only the first time for the day for you starting it after and extended period it makes the noise?

The only times i EVER heard it, was during the first second when im holding the key in my hand when i'm trying to start it. After i hear the noise, i let go and try to start it again. The noise never occured while the car was on...only when i tried to start it.

I made an appointment for monday morning 8:30 am. over the phone they told me that it would only take a few hours....as if they knew what the problem was...which they did not tell me.

And the noise is deff. the same is if you were to strip the starter..not so much a squeeking noise..it's more of a grinding high pich noise.

Took it to Inskip this morning. They said that all they could do was try to start it over and over again and see if they heard the noise...and of course it didn't make a peep for them!!

I guess i'll just have to wait for it to break all together before they'll lift a finger. :censored: that's me lifting my finger :angry:

Took it to Inskip this morning. They said that all they could do was try to start it over and over again and see if they heard the noise...and of course it didn't make a peep for them!!

I guess i'll just have to wait for it to break all together before they'll lift a finger.  :censored:  that's me lifting my finger :angry:

Oh, they for some reason had to open up the hood to "try to start the car over and over again" There were a million fingerprints on my grille guard, and the grille guard was put back into position but wasn't tightened!!! :censored: so that's why while going 80 on the highway for an hour i was hearing that raddle and it was shaking all over!! :censored:

what were they doing under the hood!!??