Buring Smell From Rear Wheels

VMF

i changed brake pads more then a month ago and today after driving on a highway when i parked it in the garage i noticed a burning smell, like when u get a plastic bag on a muffler type of smell. but when i checked the whole exaust system there were no bags. i sniffed the whole car and i found out that 2 rear wheels make the smell. i noticed that all rotors are not shiny but all matt.

that seems a little strange t me because i mashined them when i changed the brakes.

and the smell.....

any1 knows why?

My wife said the same thing after driving the Lexus. What I did was go around a put my hand on all the wheels to feel the temperature. Sure enough, the RR was very hot. Check to make sure one of your calipers isn't sticking, that's what was wrong with mine. At some point I read about changing an "O" ring on the caliper but I couldn't find it again.

Did you check to see that your emgergency brake was fully disengauged? Your dash light could be a bit faulty as the car gets older? The light could go off but the emergency pedal may not be all the way up?

You may have to have the calipers readjusted out slightly? Wrong pads (too thick)?

i dont use emergency brake:( and i bought original lexus brake pads:(

i think i'm just gonna go to my mechanic and let him check whats going on with em.

its hard to find a decent mechanic these days.:)

Hey Brooklyn, with the on board tools in my tool kit when I was in Essex, NJ (my wife works there) I encountered a brake problem. After I felt the wheels (and about burned my hand on the right rear) I popped the trunk, used a piece of conduit over the factory lug wrench to removed a majorly torqued lug bolt, I jacked up the Lex. Using the 14mm wrench in the Lexus tool kit in the trunk, I loosened the top bolt and rotated the pads out. I did and OSI and determined they were really worn, man the metal was almost into the rotors. Apparently, at some point the caliper stuck. I put it back together and took my other car over to Warnock Lexus in Livingston and bought new pads. I went back and rejacked up the Lex and removed the wheel (which was a whole lot easier since the bolts weren't stuck) . I cleaned it out then compressed it with a c-clamp I bought and a hoe (a real one) and compressed the piston. Put new pads on and so far so good. I still really worry about it sticking again. I don't mind relacing them but if someone knows an easy way to rebuilt these, I am open. I've rebuilt GM calipers previously.. Thanks, Denny

mine are brand new lexus pads as well, i'm going to the shop that changed and mashined my rotors and i will let them deal with it.