1999 Lexus Es 300 Air Bag Light

Hello, bought this 1999 lexus es300 with 36,000 miles 2.5 years ago. Let me give you a list of problems that I am currently having! Now the car has 95,000. I got it at an auction, did vehicle check and everything is clear, never been wrecked, etc., The problem is ever since I have had the car, the air bag sensor on the dash has blinked! The closest lexus dealer is 160 miles away and cant get me in for 2 months! ! I have had it checked out by numerous mechanics and no one can tell me what the problem is! I have had the o2 sensor replaced a month ago, and ultra quiet brake pads ( in which the darn things still squeek! which sucks because Lexus is not supposed to squeek!) The check engine /trac on/off light is back on, and to top EVERYTHING OFF, I went on vacation, ran the a/c the whole time I was there, and on my last day, noticed the smoke blowing out of the vents, and the floor behind both front seats was seriously soaked with water (I have to use a wet vac twice now! ) The a/c still works, but not as good as it could be, and I am scared to run it because of the water issue! Can someone please help, I made an appointment at the dealership, but its not for 2 months, and I wuold hate to drive all that way for them to tell me that I have to pay up thousands to fix this! Thanks in adavance! Kelley ;) , please email me at kguzylak@yahoo.com

A good technition has a scan tool to show what is exactly wrong with the srs sytem,find a techintion and dump the mechanic you have.

The brake pads squeel for the same reason ,the mechanic was supposed to add anti queel to the back of the pasd to keep them from dragging on the rotors and making noise, no blue/red anti squeel and you get noise.It is a 3 second .30 cent thing to do when changing brakes.

The smoke if it doens; smell is probably just vapour trapped in the vent system,nothign to worry about.

the leak needs to be found befroe it causes more problem. You would need to find what seal is gone and seal it again.

Hello - For my 93 ES300 the Airbag light blinking condition points to a problem with the control unit itself, the Airbag control unit has its own power source and when the voltage drops below a certain value it triggers the blinking condition. My guess is that the SRS is now offline.

This is all in the service manual for your vehicle. Not Haynes or Chilton but the actual service manual. Its expensive but well worth it. If you are going to take your car to an non-Lexus shop, which I do from time to time, I lend them my service manual.

• 2 weeks later...
Hello, bought this 1999 lexus es300 with 36,000 miles 2.5 years ago. Let me give you a list of problems that I am currently having! Now the car has 95,000. I got it at an auction, did vehicle check and everything is clear, never been wrecked, etc., The problem is ever since I have had the car, the air bag sensor on the dash has blinked! The closest lexus dealer is 160 miles away and cant get me in for 2 months! ! I have had it checked out by numerous mechanics and no one can tell me what the problem is! I have had the o2 sensor replaced a month ago, and ultra quiet brake pads ( in which the darn things still squeek!  which sucks because Lexus is not supposed to squeek!) The check engine /trac on/off light is back on, and to top EVERYTHING OFF, I went on vacation, ran the a/c the whole time I was there, and on my last day, noticed the smoke blowing out of the vents, and the floor behind both front seats was seriously soaked with water (I have to use a wet vac twice now! ) The a/c still works, but not as good as it could be, and I am scared to run it because of the water issue! Can someone please help, I made an appointment at the dealership, but its not for 2 months, and I wuold hate to drive all that way for them to tell me that I have to pay up thousands to fix this! Thanks in adavance! Kelley ;) , please email me at kguzylak@yahoo.com

I have a 1999 ES that I bought used in March 2005. It had a similar problem with the restraint light flashing. First of all, the manual states that if it blinks it has to do with the seat belt tensioner, not the air bag. It had been taken to a dealer by the previous owner and it still would blink periodically. I finally checked all of the connections and was able to get it to stop by ensuring all plastic connectors were tight under the front drivers seat. It has started blinking again once since March and it quit immediately upon jiggling the connectors.