Paint Problems?

BY5260

I have a '05 ES330. I just passed 12k miles. I really have to wonder if the paint on this car is "bad". I have always been real particular about caring for my cars. I hand wash, almost daily, my 330. I have applied many coats of Zaino wax. I am going NUTS with the amount of large chips that appear on the hood, back of mirrors, columns & front-end. I have never owned a car that had so many chips at this mileage. I mainly drive from my home, on the Interstate, to the airport. I have tried repairing the chips but the repairs look about as bad as the chip. My car is silver. Have others had this same problem? Could it be a sign of a poor quality paint job? Would I buy this same car again? NO! Not just for this reason but for many others.

I have a '05 ES330.  I just passed 12k miles. I really have to wonder if the paint on this car is "bad".  I have always been real particular about caring for my cars. I hand wash, almost daily, my 330.  I have applied many coats of Zaino wax.  I am going NUTS with the amount of large chips that appear on the hood, back of mirrors, columns & front-end.  I have never owned a car that had so many chips at this mileage.   I mainly drive from my home, on the Interstate, to the airport.  I have tried repairing the chips but the repairs look about as bad as the chip.  My car is silver.  Have others had this same problem?  Could it be a sign of a poor quality paint job?  Would I buy this same car again?  NO! Not just for this reason but for many others.

Speak to SW03ES......he's the master concerning this problem. :D

My '03 ES is painted Millenium Silver and I find the paint on this car is pretty durable. I'm not saying it's impervious to chips, but it's as good, if not better then the past Lexus's I've owned.

I have a '05 ES330.  I just passed 12k miles. I really have to wonder if the paint on this car is "bad".  I have always been real particular about caring for my cars. I hand wash, almost daily, my 330.  I have applied many coats of Zaino wax.  I am going NUTS with the amount of large chips that appear on the hood, back of mirrors, columns & front-end.  I have never owned a car that had so many chips at this mileage.   I mainly drive from my home, on the Interstate, to the airport.  I have tried repairing the chips but the repairs look about as bad as the chip.  My car is silver.  Have others had this same problem?  Could it be a sign of a poor quality paint job?  Would I buy this same car again?  NO! Not just for this reason but for many others.

Speak to SW03ES......he's the master concerning this problem. :D

My '03 ES is painted Millenium Silver and I find the paint on this car is pretty durable. I'm not saying it's impervious to chips, but it's as good if not better then the past Lexus's I've owned.

I agree with amf, SW is the czar in this department. I've also experenced similar problems with my 01 ES.....not major mind you, but annoying & also have the car paint sealed & professionally detailed yearly. ;)

:cheers:

Thanks guys ;)

The paints not bad. What you're experiencing is the current state of paint technology. The government has imposed new VOC requirements for automotive paint. The new requirements force paint manufacturers to use formulas that are not as resistant to chipping nor are as resisting to orange peeling during the drying process as older paints. Its a big problem on a lot of current model cars. They'll get it figured out but until they do I'm afraid this is what we're stuck with.

Clear bras, anyone buying a new car nowadays needs to buy a clear bra.

Thanks for the replies and info. I somehow suspected this problem could be the result of Fed. requirements. I wonder if Lexus has done something in addition to these new rules. I have a '03 Tahoe, twice the mileage and 10% of the chips. I considered a clearbra after I purchased the car. I should of done it but probably half the chips are further up the hood or in locations the bra would not of covered. I did just install a spoiler on the rear deck. I really like how this dressed-up my car. Is there a post I should read regarding the proper repair of these chips? The repairs I have made so far just don't look good.

Is the paint on your car bad? No.

Bra's are awful. Look like crap & damage the paint just as bad in the long run. I fyou're going to go the bra route, you need to use the clear plastic bra that bonds to the paint & let's UV light through. (Like two big brands, one is 3M, and I forget the other). They also cover all the foreward facia, so you get more protection.

If it get's excessive, you need to take to the dealer.

• 2 years later...

:angry: My wife drives a 2005 Lexus and the paint quality is horrible. We never drive on gravel roads and the hood and front components are chipped badly. It appears that the paint is thin with little or no primer on the metal.

We have talked to the dealer about this and they just put us off by telling us it is "normal" wear and tear. I drive a 2005 GMC Z71 truck and the paint is 10 times better than the Lexus. A google search turned up dozens of people who have the same problem.

Has anyone had luck with Lexus doing anything about this problem.

I appreciate any response. Thanks

Your GMC truck is much higher off the ground than the Lexus so you won't see the issue. The nose of the ES is low.

Its not a problem, nothing the dealer can do. Its the nature of low VOC paint on a low to the ground car. If it really bugs you have the front resprayed by a shop and see if it holds up better. It won't.

hello

about the bra or mask, i have one on my 04 dark blue. i think it looks good, i take it off 2 or 3 times a year to check the paint, everthing looks good. water seems to drain good, had car up to 100-110 m.p.h. no problem. hides alot of the chips and hood dent. no rust on the hood dent or chips. i touch up the best i can. if it gets bad i'll have it repainted. $180 for a mask is cheaper then $1100 for a small dent and repaint on the hood and a dent on the fender. if i do get it fixed, i'll look into the clear mask. got mine at the lexus dealer. black mask on a silver might not look too good. just my opinon. have a good save weekend!

tim