Intro And Questions

Hey ppl, Im the newbie, My name is Ivan and 2 days ago I bought a 1997 Es300 with 152k miles. I actually went to a Nissan dealership and they sold it to me as is, no warranty for $3000, no tax. Dont know if this is a good deal or not, I would imagine it is since its a Lexus. Being used, there are a few things wrong with it that im sure some and most of you can relate to or know how to "quick-fix".

First off, is the body. I went to Maaco to get an estimate, and they said that they can get the body to look as new for $2000. Is this worth it?

Second, ABS light keeps blinking... Dont know what thats about. Anyone know how to fix that?

Third, The brakelight-light is on all the time even though none of them are out.

Last, I plan on putting an aftermarket sound system in the car, is it easy to find parts to this? especially for the disc changer (which doesnt work right now. oh, and the stock radio display looks like it got demagnetized)

Other than those, the car is great! Engine runs REALLY well, no shifting problems, brakes squeel when I gradually stop but I can get that checked out. Leather is still in great condition, no rips or tears. All controls work except for the CD controller as they call it. Tape deck works, all speakers work, sunroof, everything.

For as much as I paid for the car, would it be worth it to put the $2000+ into it?

Id really appreciate your help and I will continue to browse the site for already asked ??? THANKS in advance!

You got a deal for that price.

Get it checked for sludge ,there has to be a reason it was sold that cheap.

Since you got an amazing deal spend the money save to get it back to new for less.

Pay to get an estimate for checking everything it needs so you have an idea of what to fix and how much.

Get a few estimates but what is wrong with the paint.I wouldn't let macco touch a tricycle never mind a car.

Abs sensor code,need it read to knwo what is wrong with it.

Are you sure not "BRAKE" light is not working ,was someoen pressing the brake to make sure ,it does not register reverse,signals or running lights for that sensor warning.

It should be work about 7000 ,so 2000 is nothing spend another 3000 and it is still a deal

Re: "Brake" light. Does the light just say "Brake"? If so, this might not have anything to do with the brakes, but rather it is indicating a problem with the parking brake or parking brake sensor. My wife's 2000 ES had a problem with the parking brake, parking brake light, and parking brake light sensor. As SK said, you should have someone qualified to check this and other issues out.

For the body, without us seeing it, there is no way to diagnose it. If the paid just looks bad, a good detailer might be able to make it look a lot better by removing scuff marks, minor scratches, and paint oxidation. If the paint is scrathed to the metal or primer, then some kind of repaint or touch-up is necessary. Again, a good detailer should be able to help you diagnose this. A detailer would probably give you a free estimate and help you decide whether a repaint is necessary.

If it is the BRAKE that is constantly illuminated, then check the level of the brake fluid. (This light has nothing to do with the bulbs themselves. The light for that is the one of the tail end of the car with what looks like eyelashes.) Even though the fluid may be above the minimum mark, Toyota/Lexus brake fluid level sensors are very touchy ans can still set off the light. Try adding some new DOT3 fluid to bring it up to about 1/4 inch below the max fill line. If that doesn't do it, then have the brakes checked over by a professional. Midas will do a free estimate I believe. May help determine the squeal, too.

Now, the squeal may also be that the previous owner used a semi- or full- metallic pad when the did the brakes last. This squeal is normal when the pads first start to make contact but then goes away when more pressure is applied.

As SK said, The flashing ABS needs to be checked out. Chances are it is a faulty ABS sensor at one of the wheels. No one will know until the codes are retrieved.

And again in accordance with SK, get the car checked for sludge. However, at 152K and a smooth running engine, you may have lucked out with a previous owner that was dubious in oil/filter replacement.

See if you can't track down previous maint. records. Find out what has been done.

Pull a spark plug from the front bank and see what they look like: new, old, black, brown, soiled or clean burning.

Pull the stick on the tranny fluid and see what the color is. Cherry red or blackish brown.

Welcome to LOC and please make every attempt to use the SEARCH feature of this site before asking questions as you questions most likely have already been asked and answered.

steviej

Hey ppl, Im the newbie, My name is Ivan and 2 days ago I bought a 1997 Es300 with 152k miles.  I actually went to a Nissan dealership and they sold it to me as is, no warranty for $3000, no tax.  Dont know if this is a good deal or not, I would imagine it is since its a Lexus.  Being used, there are a few things wrong with it that im sure some and most of you can relate to or know how to "quick-fix".

First off, is the body.  I went to Maaco to get an estimate, and they said that they can get the body to look as new for $2000. Is this worth it?

Second, ABS light keeps blinking... Dont know what thats about. Anyone know how to fix that?

Third, The brakelight-light is on all the time even though none of them are out.

Last, I plan on putting an aftermarket sound system in the car, is it easy to find parts to this? especially for the disc changer (which doesnt work right now. oh, and the stock radio display looks like it got demagnetized)

Other than those, the car is great! Engine runs REALLY well, no shifting problems, brakes squeel when I gradually stop but I can get that checked out.  Leather is still in great condition, no rips or tears. All controls work except for the CD controller as they call it. Tape deck works, all speakers work, sunroof, everything.

For as much as I paid for the car, would it be worth it to put the $2000+ into it?

Id really appreciate your help and I will continue to browse the site for already asked ???  THANKS in advance!

do NOT get body/paint work from MAACO. they use their own paint and it's pure crap. they also use bondo for everything, including body work that really needs to get banged out and all-metal or welding work done. MAACO sucks and it won't last for more than 1 year max.

i've had tons of experience with body work and painting since i did that by myself for my 1993 Lexus ES300. after i was done i was able to sell it for $7,500 back in 2003, but i also had full maintenance records.

i've also restored a '67 mustang convertible and replace metal on it. anyway it's best to find a body shop in the hispanic part of town, look at the cars they are currently working on and how well the job is done, and then ask them for a quote if you paid cash.

if you were in Houston i know just the place...the guy used to work on ferraris and lamborghinis until the IRS shut down his shop, now he runs a small, under-the-radar shop, but his work is top notch.

Oh dear f'ing god!? Don't go to any chain paint house, or a dealer ofr that matter.

/rant on

Go to an indipendant collision repair shop. They all look nasty... Let's face it, they have the most broke, of broke !Removed! cars to work on! That's also the place where you'll find the pre-finish & painters making the big money becuase they're actually skilled at their craft.

Dealers, mechanics, and paint shops take your money and laff. Collision shops have big broher on their !Removed! (insurance companies that *will* get the work done right the first time).

Remember guys... Most dealers have the 15 year old zit faced teenagers making a little dough by scratching the *BLEEP* out of cars with real buffing machines. Those are the same ones that are going to get to do all the prep work for your paint.

We won't even get into the fact that dealers don't hire painters. They hire mechanics.

Most dealers hire out for paint service. Where do they hire out? The best indy collision repair shop they can find!

/rant off

Grab the yellow pages & find the best indy collision repair shop for the paint.

Hawk makes the best brake pads on Earth. Get a set of HPS's.

Before you drop $2K on some paint - get the engine checked for sludge. You may need the $2k to get the engine fixed if there is a problem. If not then you're in luck, but I would spend the $$ on the car to get the mechanicals straight before the cosmetics.

The car may look like a million bucks with fresh paint, but that won't do you any good if can't get out of the driveway.

Well, I dont really know what to look for in the yellow pages... there are so many collision shops.

As for the brake light it IS the one that look like eylashes...

I appreciate all the help that you guys have done, youve opened up my eyes about the corporate chain places. and branshew, youre right!

What exactly is wrong with the body? And if you mean what i think you do by the "brake light" sensor (the eyelash light as sated above), then be absolutely sure that all your tail light (all of them) are in working order. I have a 97 with tons of mileage as well and am more than willing to lend any piece of advice that i can.

What exactly is wrong with the body?  And if you mean what i think you do by the "brake light" sensor (the eyelash light as sated above), then be absolutely sure that all your tail light (all of them) are in working order.  I have a 97 with tons of mileage as well and am more than willing to lend any piece of advice that i can.

I guess somebody did some horrible bondo work on the driver side rear door and bumper and also the hood. The front bumper cover has a hole in it (probably ran into a truck with a hitch). And then a few dents here and there, mostly door dings.