Rx 300 Tranny Shift Is Pronounced, Normal?

tealboy

I am learning, mostly from you who are responding to my posts, about lexus. I have driven a few, but not many. However, the ls 400 and the gs 430 seemed to shift like butter. Very smooth, almost undetectable. However, when i test drove the 2002 rx 300 awd, the shifts were pronounced. Not bad, not necessarily a problem, but destinctly more pronounced than on the GS 300/430 i drove.

is this typical of all rx suv's or would this suggest a problem? How does the 330 shift compare?

The Rx300 shifting patters are a "bit jolty" and not exactly smooth...This is common, well normal for all Rx300's, AWD and FWD.

The rx330 is EVEN worse!! The tranny on the rx330 is "extremely" jolty and is sort of a pain. you just touch the gas and you're flying!

The Rx300 doesn't take acceleration very well. I'm a very aggressive driver, and believe me, the Rx300 doesn't feel too great when your flooring it...It starts to shake, whine, and rev a LOT. The RX330 takes it better.

...probably why my 99 rx didn't last too long. It couldn't take my driving.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All:

Has anyone has laid hands on a Transmission(U140F) Repair Manaul for the RX300 3.0 L AWD; preferably electronic.

My transmission has just gone!! And need to try to rebuild it. I would be grateful to get one.

Thanks much.

Mark

just curious, how many miles do you have on it?

I do not have the manual, But ALL DATA has the procedure online and available on CD for a years subscription. I have personally rebuilt a transmission ( ford A4ld with electronic overdrive ) and have also removed the valve body assembly from the Lexus RX300. But I can tell you that if your tranny went, probably the gears and spacers, or clutch packs died. It does require a great deal of mechanical ability and with AWD dropping the tranny is not as easy as dropping the tranny on a rear wheel drive auto. For your info before I got ripped by Lexus, I was quoted 2500 dollars from a local tranny shop, much cheaper than the 4400 dollars by Lexus. Take everything in consideration and good luck with the tranny rebuild, If you could find a distributor of rebuilt tranny's and did the labor yourself you would probably save a lot of loot. :(

just curious, how many miles do you have on it?

I do not have the manual, But ALL DATA has the procedure online and available on CD for a years subscription. I have personally rebuilt a transmission ( ford A4ld with electronic overdrive ) and have also removed the valve body assembly from the Lexus RX300. But I can tell you that if your tranny went, probably the gears and spacers, or clutch packs died. It does require a great deal of mechanical ability and with AWD dropping the tranny is not as easy as dropping the tranny on a rear wheel drive auto. For your info before I got ripped by Lexus, I was quoted 2500 dollars from a local tranny shop, much cheaper than the 4400 dollars by Lexus. Take everything in consideration and good luck with the tranny rebuild, If you could find a distributor of rebuilt tranny's and did the labor yourself you would probably save a lot of loot. :(

Dont forget to flush the cooler and aux cooler.