Does Awd Require More Maintenance?

tealboy

What maintenance needs to be done on the awd model as compared to the fwd?  In other words, what more will i need to do if i buy the awd version?

well when the AWD trannies break they cost more....the AWD models are more complicated, and have more moving parts.

There really isn't any "maintenance" to them, unless they break.

Rear differential gear oil change every 60K.

YES!! deffinetly if you have the AWD you should change the tranny fluid as often as possible to prevent them from breaking...I would also suggest changing the fluid on the fWD drive as well, because they can still quit working, as few have experienced.

ATF definitely needs to be changed every 30K and AWD has 0.8 liter more in drain and fill (3.9 vs 3.1), but rear differential is unique to AWD. See the drive shaft output of AWD tranny, FWD does not have it. GL5 gear oil lubes where the drive shaft connects to the rear axel.

$10 for 1 liter of 75w90 Mobil 1 and a 10mm allen wrench if you DIY, done at dealer is > $100. :chairshot:

post-13204-1123205777_thumb.jpg

From 1987 to current: 1985 Jeep 4X4, 1992 Jeep 4X4, 1998, 99, and 2000 Chrysler T&C AWD, 1994 Aerostar AWD, 2000 AWD RX300, 2001 AWD RX300, 2001 Porsche C4.

Other than regular checks of the ATF for color and burnt odor NEVER bothered with ATF change on any of these except the 01 RX, NEVER bothered with ANY differential lub.

Have not yet had ANY problem unique to the AWD system.

The 01 RX has had the ATF changed twice, at 40k and again at 45k, but that has to do with a design flaw by Lexus.

Actually there have been 4 AWD Aerostars involved, two 92's and two 94's. My son is still driving one of the 94's and the company uses the other 94 for shuttle service.

The 92 Jeep was "retired" to a cattle and wheat ranch in north central MT in 2001. Still doing stellar duty there except one crankshaft position sensor failure.

My rear differential drain plug collect so much fine metal particles that Toyota's original GL5 oil around it has become black @ 54K. I would rather to get those metal debris out of the differential than leaving in, just my two cents...