Wats The Diff. Between...

indiasfinest

4 and D on the shifter...i put it in 4 but wats the diff...i cant remember

It took me a while to get used to the gate shifting on the newer Lexus models. I would always accidently have it in 4 instead of D.

The 4 is a lower gear ratio..so the engine works more to do less...So it gives more power to do something that may require more enegry, like towing etc. but why not just do L ??

I think the 4 and 3's are not needed.

Going from 4 to 3 to 2 and to L can help during braking too down hills. Sometimes i use 2 while going up hills too. It's good to use that while going up and down hills because it uses more power up a hill and is less stress.

correct me if im wrong...a car works like a bike when it comes to gears...say(on the bike) ur in 1st gear...then shift up to 2 when ur feat start moving fast...and then to 3 etc etc...(of course this is on a mountain bike)

..i think you pretty much hit the nail on the head!! ;) Sorta LOL

When you put a car in Low for instance, the engine has to rotate "more" before the car will move. This causes the car to move with GREAT power, or torque as you might say...

Changine gears from D-L just tells the tranny how many times the engine must turn for the car to move. It just cahnges the ratio of turns of the engine to turns of the tires.

You've got it a little backwards.

On a car that has PRND432L there are 5 forward gears. Selecting each gear means the transmission will not shift above that gear. The purpose of that is to provide engine braking when driving down grades, to keep the transmission from hunting for a gear when driving in the mountains etc.

Putting the gear selector in "2" does not provide the vehicle with any more power or torque than putting it in "D" or "3" or "L" because the engine still starts in first gear, it simply will not shift past second. All thats doing is needlessly making the engine do more work than neccisary when going uphill or in normal driving. Its like trying to pedal a bike at full tilt while its in a low gear, you kill your legs and never get anywhere.

If you have an ECT SNOW mode then with that turned on the transmission will start in second.

You've got it a little backwards.

On a car that has PRND432L there are 5 forward gears. Selecting each gear means the transmission will not shift above that gear. The purpose of that is to provide engine braking when driving down grades, to keep the transmission from hunting for a gear when driving in the mountains etc.

Putting the gear selector in "2" does not provide the vehicle with any more power or torque than putting it in "D" or "3" or "L" because the engine still starts in first gear, it simply will not shift past second. All thats doing is needlessly making the engine do more work than neccisary when going uphill or in normal driving. Its like trying to pedal a bike at full tilt while its in a low gear, you kill your legs and never get anywhere.

If you have an ECT SNOW mode then with that turned on the transmission will start in second.

LOL that sounds better ;)