1998-2000 Ls

Qafas

Hi everyone,

I am looking to buy a 98-00 LS, and am wondering if you guys could point out any problem areas to especially look out for in these years.

Also wondering if anyone has any experience buying from CarMax.

I think I'll be shooting for about 70-90K miles. Is it reasonable to ask for a timing belt change for a car that is approaching 90K? How about an allowance in the price?

Finally, is an extended warranty worth it for such a car?

I'ld appreciate any information anyone can share with me.

Thanks,

AJ

I agree. My experience with car max is that they're over priced. But that's just my opinion. The timing belts are suggested to be replaced at 90k. It's a pretty expensive job too, so if you can put that into the purchase price, from a LEXUS mechanic and not some Joe-blow with a monkey wrench, then do it. That is of course, unless, you're a Joe-blow with a monkey wrench like me! :cheers:

i agree with sk the warranty is not needed i think carmax is a little pricey you could probably get the same price or a little more from the dealer then you wouldnt have to worry about the little things

Carmax is way overpriced - look at Monarch's comment today about Certified cars. Don't pay for the Carmax name you are already paying for the relaibility of the Lex. The only common issues I have seen on the 98-00 is the failing LCD on the radio (not the heating lcd) and worn front end suspension. I've also seen some (but not frequent) starters and alternators need replacing. I've always found the best deals by buying from a private party and paying Lexus $100 to do a complete inspection akin to their certification process and using the results to negotiate an even better price from the seller. Also check the service history and see if it at least had the 60k service done and oil changes at least every 5k. My '98 feels like my old '92 on steroids with the vvti 290hp and 5speed trans. Great choice! :cheers:

Qafas, greetings from "next door" in Lenexa.

The biggest "problem" I found in changing from a 90 LS to a 00 LS is that we are driving the 00 LS quite a bit more - the 00 LS is simply more pleasant to drive than the old 90 LS so we seem to take more 300-600 mile weekend driving trips than previously.

Problems of the early LS (e.g. leaking power steering pumps which destroy alternators, poor brakes, marginal rear legroom) are addressed the 98-00 (and 95 up) LS. A 5-7 year old well optioned LS costs little more than a basically equipped one so you might as well buy one with options - Nakamichi, seat heaters, CD changer, Platinum Series, etc. I'd recommend avoiding the Nav - it is old technology - is it possible to get lost in Kansas City? If you want Nav, buy a PDA with Microsoft Streets or a Garmin nav from that nice company just south of us in Olathe -- a 2,500 square mile map (including POI's) of the Kansas City metro area takes up only 3 megabytes on a PDA storage card.

If you buy a fairly new 1-owner LS, remember that typical ages of original purchasers/lessees is quite (OK, very) high. The average age of buyers for all Lexus vehicles is 52 - LS buyers tend to be older than that. People in this age group rarely "hod rod" expensive new cars. People like me who have bought LS's new usually, but not always, take very good care of their "babies". But once an LS or any car falls into the hands of the 2nd, 3rd or 4th owner, then watch out!

Maintenance costs for a 98-00 LS are less than for an early LS. (OK, the 98-00 engine sump holds an extra quart of oil over your 91 LS.) For example, the spark plug change interval is twice as long (120,000 miles) as for the early LS.

I'd recommend shopping the independent dealers and watching the Kansas City Star for a private party selling his LS. Look at a lot of cars and take your time but be ready to negotiate and write a check when your "perfect" car comes along.

PM me if you want opinions on local sources for used Lexus cars. I'd rather not post this information on a public forum.

Here is a link to information about the 98 LS. Modify the URL (change the 98 to 99 and 00) to see information about the 99 and 00 models:

http://www.lexusjax.com/shared/shared/cpo_...00/ls40098.html

Note that Superior sold quite a few 98 LSs without HID but that HID are on almost all 99's and 00's.

Thanks for the input guys. I'm looking, but not finding too many great deals. But, then, I just started looking.

Jim - I'm not in KC any longer...moved back to Sacramento. But, I do appreciate your help.

with regards,

AJ

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks for the input guys.  I'm looking, but not finding too many great deals.  But, then, I just started looking.

Jim - I'm not in KC any longer...moved back to Sacramento.  But, I do appreciate your help.

with regards,

AJ

B) I bought my 98 last July with 75k and paid 18k for it I have changed a starter and now have 110k on it I also just changed the timing belt with a new water pump, I love this car set the cruise turn on the Beachboys and cruise!