60k Mile Service ? What Would They Do Or Change?

bored7one4

When I had my wife's 2000 RX300 in for an oil/filter change the other day I inquired into the 60,000 mile service and what is included. The service rep couldn't tell me what is done for the $500.00 price of the service. She said it's all in the owner's manual, so I checked the manual for the list of recommended services. From what I could see, the total of parts is about $80.00 and it looks to be about 2-3 hours work for someone who does their own maint. My wife bought her car 2 years ago [ then had 38,000 miles ] from the Lexus dealer and has been adamant that it get oil/filter changes at the Lexus dealer while it's covered by the Certified Warranty. I do all the maint. work on my Silverado but I'll go along with her on this; if there are any problems [ and there have been ] then she can refer to them as doing all the maint. The Certified Warranty will end next May and after that I doubt it will ever see the Lexus dealer again. If I can't handle it I'll take it to the Toyota dealer. [ Same vehicle as Toyota Highlander ] It seems as though the Lexus dealers think they can gouge the customers to no end without any repercussions. They charge ANY amount they want for ANY service because they assume that the customer is totally ignorant. Any good independent import shop could do an equal or better job for much less money, with the SAME parts. Oh, I forgot. The Lexus dealer has to provide loaner cars for FREE!

I can not believe what Lexus service has been able to pull off here. I consider it to be borderline fraud when I read of some of the services performed and prices paid. I believe most Lexus owners do not visit sites like this. They just go to the dealer and request the 60K or whatever service and pay and pay and pay. Some actually feel good because they are getting what they consider a free loaner. I find the statement above interesting that the tech could not even tell you what services were being performed. It's like just give us the money.

I can not believe what Lexus service has been able to pull off here. I consider it to be borderline fraud when I read of some of the services performed and prices paid. I believe most Lexus owners do not visit sites like this. They just go to the dealer and request the 60K or whatever service and pay and pay and pay. Some actually feel good because they are getting what they consider a free loaner. I find the statement above interesting that the tech could not even tell you what services were being performed. It's like just give us the money.

Yep, the Lexus dealership performs only one service, ripping the consumer, You can rent a car for 25 dollars a day, big difference between 900 and say a resonable charge like 200 dollars for the maintenance. Those big shiny showrooms I guess have a lot of overhead. I too have used toyota dealerships and their showrooms are just as nice for half the price on the same service.

BORED7ONE4------Did you shop around for a second estimate for the 60,000 mile service?  What did the Toyota dealer quote?

If you think that's a crime then read my post from yesterday-------Certified Warranty Education For $85.00!

BORED7ONE4------Did you shop around for a second estimate for the 60,000 mile service?  What did the Toyota dealer quote?

If you think that's a crime then read my post from yesterday-------Certified Warranty Education For $85.00!

the dealer wanted $965 for the 60k services. i got to find out what need to be done then ill go shop around.

the dealer wanted $965 for the 60k services. i got to find out what need to be done then ill go shop around.

Golly, It's ONLY a $700.00 difference! They have to pay for those FREE loaner cars!

I got my done at Toyota for $475.00

There are 3 Toyota dealers in this area. One is owned by the person who ALSO owns the ONLY Lexus dealer. Guess which Toyota dealer refuses to do ANY service work on a Lexus, ANY service work. It's no wonder there aren't any service manuals available for owners to do their own maint. work. These vehicles are a " gold mine " for Lexus service departments.

• 2 weeks later...

I have 80K miles on my RX and suspect that I will need a tune up and timing belt change in another 10k to 20K miles.

Does anyone in the San Franciso bay area know, perferably across the bay on the Fremont side, which Toyota dealer will perform this type of service?

I am also open to some reputable shops that dedicate themselves to working on Lexus and Toyota autos.

Thanks, :)

DC

Read the Lexus manual and you'll see that the only thing you actually need (if your not towing or in harsh environment) is the brake fluid flush, coolant flush, and oil change. Eveything else per Lexus is a visual inspection which you can do yourself. I would ask them to perform those items only and if possible go somehwere these guys have to be the most expensive Lexus dealer in the country!

"brake fluid flush, coolant flush, and oil change..."

And of thos ethe only one you really need is the oil (and filters) changed.

Just about two years ago I changed out the factory coolant in my 92 LS400, only because it was looking a bit murky. The Ph and freeze level were still fine. I NEVER let anyone touch my brake fluid unless serious, open system, brake maintenance is involved.

Keep in mind that scheduled, routine, maintenance services are often performed by the dealer's McD flipper graduates. And then think about how much you depend on your brakes for life saving.