The Ride When Lowering

I wanted to know if someone can help me out. I have a 04 Grand Prix and bought Eibach (sp?) lowering springs and had a 1 1/2 inch drop on the car. It looks really nice with the 18's i put on it. The thing is, when i am driving on a smooth road with little grooves and hills it feels like I am on a boat or something. the people in the back go up and down and almost hit there heads on the roof. Is there another piece i have to add to make the ride feel like it was before i lowered it or is this just the way things are. When i hit a pothole or bump of course you feel it cause it is lowered but i just wanted to get rid of the rocking. I just got a GS and wanted to lower it too and wanted to hear from you guys before i do. Thanks.

You say you replaced the springs, did you happen to replace the shocks also. If not then probably what is happening is that the shock is being over powered by the spring and allowing the car to sort of pogo or move in a vertical plane more quickly as the shock tries slow down the movment of the car. A stiffer shock with more compression and especially more rebound damping should cure your problem. I have a somewhat similar problem but its with control over small dips and stuff on the freeway at high speeds(over 100). I'm running Intraxx springs and sway bars with KYB shocks on my GS but am thinking of going to tein coilovers and have yet to decide on the FLEX or the Super Street. Hope this helps ya out some..

I wanted to know if someone can help me out. I have a 04 Grand Prix and bought Eibach (sp?) lowering springs and had a 1 1/2 inch drop on the car. It looks really nice with the 18's i put on it. The thing is, when i am driving on a smooth road with little grooves and hills it feels like I am on a boat or something. the people in the back go up and down and almost hit there heads on the roof. Is there another piece i have to add to make the ride feel like it was before i lowered it or is this just the way things are. When i hit a pothole or bump of course you feel it cause it is lowered but i just wanted to get rid of the rocking. I just got a GS and wanted to lower it too and wanted to hear from you guys before i do.  Thanks.

do u have a lexus?

I just got a GS and wanted to lower it too and wanted to hear from you guys before i do.  Thanks.

do u have a lexus?

Shocks and springs need to work together. I agree with dbgs400 that it may be your shocks. Also, different springs have different spring rates (obviously ;)) so you need to be careful in picking out the right one for the right ride your are looking for.

A complementary shock/spring combo would do you better in this case. This is one of the major advantages to coilovers (which also range from track stiff to soft street cruiser). The springs and shocks were made to work with each other.

Also keep in mind that the ride will degrade some just from going to thinner, stiff sidewall low-profile, performance tires. Those 18s (and up) are not going to feel as cushy as the 16s.

• 3 months later...

Shocks and springs need to work together.  I agree with dbgs400 that it may be your shocks.  Also, different springs have different spring rates (obviously ;)) so you need to be careful in picking out the right one for the right ride your are looking for.

A complementary shock/spring combo would do you better in this case.  This is one of the major advantages to coilovers (which also range from track stiff to soft street cruiser).  The springs and shocks were made to work with each other.

I was thinking about putting on the "EIBACH PRO-KIT LOWERING SPRINGS" on with my cushy 16's,lol.

Will the ride quality be decent with the stock shocks and the EIBACH springs? If not what shocks/spring combo would be best for ride quality.

Shocks and springs need to work together.  I agree with dbgs400 that it may be your shocks.  Also, different springs have different spring rates (obviously ;)) so you need to be careful in picking out the right one for the right ride your are looking for.

A complementary shock/spring combo would do you better in this case.  This is one of the major advantages to coilovers (which also range from track stiff to soft street cruiser).  The springs and shocks were made to work with each other.

I was thinking about putting on the "EIBACH PRO-KIT LOWERING SPRINGS" on with my cushy 16's,lol.

Will the ride quality be decent with the stock shocks and the EIBACH springs? If not what shocks/spring combo would be best for ride quality.

You should be fine, I'd replace the struts at the same time as well, if they haven't been replaced already or if it's close to time to replace them. <_<