Suggestions For New Vehicle

uthorns1976

In the near future, I'm going to be in the market for a new vehicle. I'm almost certain I want an SUV, not a "car."

Recently, my brother purchased a Lexus RX400h. Very nice vehicle but "too rich for my blood." I really don't drive enough to justify such an expensive vehicle.

I've always driven GM vehicles but never an SUV. I definitely don't want a Ford and probably not a Chrysler. I'm not averse to "foreign" cars but I find that typically the seats are uncomfortable. Some years ago, I owned an Acura Legend when it first came out. I sold it to my brother because the seats (lumbar) killed my back. I need a seat that is flat (no lumbar) because I have back trouble.

Here's something else. I need a vehicle with good visibility because I don't use the outside rearview mirrors when I drive. I look to check for traffic. I have to be able to see well to the sides and rear. That's why I loved my 1993 Buick LeSabre that I recently sold. The visibility in that car was excellent to the sides and rear. It had old-style headrests, not the newer Euro-style tall headrests that block your view.

Also, I know that I don't want a "bus" like a Suburban or Yukon XL. Too big. I prefer more mid-size SUVs like the Tahoe or Yukon.

I will be buying the vehicle outright with no trade-in.

Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks. :cheers:

We've had three Grand Cherokees and found them to be bulletproof with proper routine maintenance performed on schedule. With all the problems my wife has had with her 2000 RX300, I can't tell you how much she regrets catching "Lexus fever" a few years back. She would dump the RX today if I could get her last Grand Cherokee back in the same condition we sold it in. When we dump her RX in another year or two after I'm willing to accept the depreciation hit, she'll go running and screaming right back to a Grand Cherokee.

You should also look at the Pacifica. It is a great product that doesn't get enough credit for how well-designed and built it is for the money.

We've had three Grand Cherokees and found them to be bulletproof with proper routine maintenance performed on schedule.  With all the problems my wife has had with her 2000 RX300, I can't tell you how much she regrets catching "Lexus fever" a few years back.  She would dump the RX today if I could get her last Grand Cherokee back in the same condition we sold it in.  When we dump her RX in another year or two after I'm willing to accept the depreciation hit, she'll go running and screaming right back to a Grand Cherokee.

You should also look at the Pacifica.  It is a great product that doesn't get enough credit for how well-designed and built it is for the money.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Based on J.D. Power rankings, I was under the impression that Jeep vehicles, e.g. Grand Cherokee, were unreliable. Obviously, that has not been your experience in the past.

Funny you should mention the Pacifica. When my brother was in the market for a new vehicle, he said something about the Pacifica. I told him, "Dude, that's a freaking minivan." So, he lost interest in the vehicle. I haven't seen the inside of a Pacifica so I don't know what it's like.

Take the time to go and drive a Pacifica. You may very well change your initial impression of the vehicle being a minivan. It isn't. It's really best defined as a crossover vehicle. Very well-engineered and it drives beautifully. I'm 6'7" and thought that there was no way I could get comfortable in it. Turns out that it provides me with pretty good legroom and decent headroom as well.

The Toyota Highlander is a less pretentious version of the RX330, but rides and drives with almost the same level of refinement. Check Consumer Reports and you'll see the Highlander is at the top of the midsize SUV class in ride, comfort, reliability, durability, owner satisfaction and resale value. Naturally you'd want to get one with an adjustable lumbar support. If you need great fuel economy the Highlander is also available with a suprizingly peppy, quiet and refined Camry 4 cylinder engine that gets 30 MPG @ 60 MPH.

American SUV's all suffer mediocre to poor reliability after 4-5 years, mediocre to poor owner satisfaction and lousy resale value compared to Toyota and Honda SUV's

i agree the highlander is a good car...how bout a honda...not the element but cr-v and pilot rnt bad

The Highlander is an interesting vehicle, especially with the hybrid system. However, from what I have seen, Toyota is dumping the old body style in favor of a new, sleek body style. I have seen pictures. It looks sort of like a Nissan Murano. Not sure when this new body style will debut.

More than one person has mentioned the Honda Pilot. I checked it out. No side-curtain air bags, etc. In my opinion, side-curtain air bags are a must on any new vehicle.

Thanks. All suggestions appreciated.

i agree the highlander is a good car...how bout a honda...not the element but cr-v and pilot rnt bad

The Highlander is an interesting vehicle, especially with the hybrid system. However, from what I have seen, Toyota is dumping the old body style in favor of a new, sleek body style. I have seen pictures. It looks sort of like a Nissan Murano. Not sure when this new body style will debut.

More than one person has mentioned the Honda Pilot. I checked it out. No side-curtain air bags, etc. In my opinion, side-curtain air bags are a must on any new vehicle.

Thanks. All suggestions appreciated.

At the risk of some chair shots, what about the Hummer H3??? I have seen the vehicle and it's pretty slick. I have not driven it. Of course, the 5-cylinder engine's gotta' be anemic but there will probably be aftermarket turbos or superchargers to remedy that situation. Not sure if GM would honor your warranty though. :unsure:

I would suggest the Rx330, but if you are looking for a car that has a good view from the drivers seat, i'd say no to the rx330. The back window is too small, and the sides create a blind spot.

I absolutely love my 2004 Rx330. It has 52,000 miles and is working perfectly!

I absolutely love my 2004 Rx330.

Even compared to your '05 LS430 ?? What do you like & dislike about the RX330 vs the LS430?

Are you still glad you bought the LS430?

Since i have had the RX330 for over a year i have grown to it more than the LS. I take it to work every monday, tuesday and Friday, and whenever my family goes out to dinner or on a vacation etc. I associate the Rx330 with most of my driving.

I like the LS430 in a different way. It is so comfortable and gives such a good ride, and looks so nice it's almost a shame to drive it!! LOL I didn't mean that overall i liked the RX better then the LS, it's just that out of all the SUV's i would choose the Rx330 since i have had great luck with it.

Personally, i like the seating positions of a car better than the positions + feel of an SUV. Although i have had 2 Rx300's and an RX330, i still like the "car feeling" a bit better. The ride is better in a car too. Especially in the LS430!!

And absolutely, i am VERY glad i got the LS430. It's the most comfortable and quietest car i have ever driven in.

And absolutely, i am VERY glad i got the LS430. It's the most comfortable and quietest car i have ever driven in.

Indeed Indeed, have owned C to CL Klass. Only the CL can beat LS's noise level, the S klass barely can do the same. Thats why i have chosen a Lexus for my daily ride... nothing beats a LS for a car being driven daily from A to B ...

Toyota/Lexus builds the most reliable SUV/Jeep in the World... If you afraid of fix car, don't go with other brand, esp SUV, their big item stuff are not as durable as a normal passenger car. Been there, Done That. in Mid Size SUV, Porsche Cayene is really a good buy, its cheaper than their own VW Tourag, Of course, also cheaper than most of the rival including X5, M Klass and again, their own Audi upcoming Q7 :blink:

How about a Subaru Outback? 2005+ you can get a choice of 3 engines, 1 6cyl with 250hp & a Turbo 4 also with 250 hp.......almost the same cargo space as the Highlander with about 400lbs less weight! B) ;)

:cheers:

How about a Subaru Outback?  2005+ you can get a choice of 3 engines, 1 6cyl with 250hp & a Turbo 4 also with 250 hp.......almost the same cargo space as the Highlander with about 400lbs less weight!  B)    ;) 

Thanks for all the interesting suggestions.

Whenever I see the word Subaru, I can't help but think of that ugly a*s B9 Tribeca. That is one ugly vehicle. The grille reminds me of an Edsel.

How about a Subaru Outback?  2005+ you can get a choice of 3 engines, 1 6cyl with 250hp & a Turbo 4 also with 250 hp.......almost the same cargo space as the Highlander with about 400lbs less weight!   B)    ;)  

Thanks for all the interesting suggestions.

Whenever I see the word Subaru, I can't help but think of that ugly a*s B9 Tribeca. That is one ugly vehicle. The grille reminds me of an Edsel.

Not a fan personally of the B9's front end look either.......however, the Tribeca aside, no other automaker makes better AWD systems. The new Outback is a very sharp looking vehicle imo. ;)