Cracking Sound When I Apply The Brakes

chercom

When I press the brake, backing up especially, I hear a loud thump and a cracking sound. This sound is very hard to explain. It is very embarassing however especially when people are around. Any idea what this is and what'sthe cost assoicated with fixing it.

It can be a couple of things. One is strut rods and lower control arms are going bad. The bushings in these are rubber and last about 100-120k on average. The other is the brake pads. Crackling noise....do you notice this if you press the brakes down hard when sitting still? Mine were doing this a few weeks ago and I had new pads put on. No more crackling, but I get a thump now too. it is due to the pads shifting around a bit when the direction of the car is changed. Example, i back up, push brakes, hear a slight thump. I go forward, and the first time i push the brakes, I hear that same thump, but only on the first application of the brakes.

I also hear the same noice on my car (2000 LS). I did not originally hear it till I replaced my brake pads. I thought it was the strut bar, so I replaced them but am still hearing it. I hear the noice when I apply the brake for the first time only (forward or reverse)

Any thought on what it could be.

yeah, it's your pads. there is a tsb on the issue regarding applying grease in certain spots to quiet it down. I'll have to hunt for it. But it's your pads shifting directions inside of the housing. It's normal in the sense that it shouldn't do harm, just anoying. i got the same thing.