Hesitation At The Stoplight

I just bought a 1992 ES300. it has been taken care extremely well. Yeah, headlights were fogged and the speedo needles are fading, but thanks to the educated people here, I have rectified those problems.

There is one problem I have that I thought I would post before going to my mechanic. It seems that taking off from a stop light there is a bit of hesitation. It almost seems that it will stall on me! I'm trying some fuel additive now thinking it could be injectors. I also noticed an amazing amount of vacuum when I unscrewed the fuel cap. Could the charcoal canister be restricted? Obvisouly a very low pressure in the fuel tank could contribute to this.

Any help would be appreciated!!! And thanks to all for all the tips!!!

Steve

oh look, another Steve.

This should be renamed Steve's Lexus site. I think zteevo, you make number 7 just in the ES forum.

Welcome!!!!!

Were the plugs ever changed at 60k. Sounds like maybe old plugs.

Easily replaced even DIY if you got the right extensions and angles for your socket wrench.

FI cleaning is always a good think, use Chevron w/Techron or have it professionally done.

Also, the PCV valve may be old and cranked and clogged. Again, easy DIY. Only a $6.00 part.

Have the fuel system pressure tested if you think it is a fuel delivery problems (tired fuel pump, clogged rails, etc). A little "ppppssssttt" from the gas tank is expected.

steviej

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to SK and Steviej for the advice. Plugs were changed along with the timing belt at 60K. Also looked at the PCV valve, and it looked new. So I then took SK's advice and looked at the intake pipe.

That was it! Nice crack in it. I replaced it instead of repairing it. And the cars runs like a top now.

Can't thank you guys enough! You guys are the best!

Steve

My 94 ES300 does that too, but only when I start it up and the engine is cold. It seems as if it has no power when i'm stopped til it gets past the first bar on the engine temperature thing. I'm wondering if i've got the same problem as you... Where can i find the intake pipe? (yes, it may be a stupid question but i dont really work under the hood too often). Thanks! :)

i don't think the intake problem would be yours as well just becasue it does chaneg with engine temp

but the intake pipe is the black pipe that goes from the air filter box on the left side of the engine

tot eh engines intake manifold

it is a long black pipe with expansion joints on it