Need To Replace Rear Cargo Carpeting

:cries: The wife ruined the rear cargo carpeting (behind the 2nd row of seats) and we need to replace it. The dealer wants $580 plus tax and labor to install a new carpet and sound deadening pad. It seems outrageous to us!

We've checked everything we can find for aftermarket items with no luck.

Can anyone suggest a cheaper alternative than getting ripped off by the dealer?

Thanks everyone!

Check the vendor section of www.IH8MUD.com. Look for CruiserDan at American Toyota. The carpet for a 1996/1997 Land Cruiser should be the same color as the LX450. That would work for new.

If you want something used, there are several people with Land Cruisers there who are parting them out. You should be able to find someone there who can help with the carpet out of a Land Cruiser they're parting.

Do you really need new sound deadening?

Something like Dynamat would be cheaper than what the dealer would use.

Have you lookat at local auto uphostery shops? If nothing else, you could get the carpet and have it professionally installed, if you're not inclined to install it yourself.

All good ideas and I will track them down.... Just a few responses to your questions:

1. Ours is a 2003 LX470, so we're not really looking for used carpeting

2. The piece that we had to scrap out was a two-layer "unit" if you will; the carpet on top with the sound deadending pad fused or glued to the back of the carpeting, so right now we are down to bare metal in the back and so, yes, we'd want to get the sound deadening as well.....

3. I'm guessing that if I went to a local upholstery shop, by the time they cut all the material to allow the fittings for everything back there (tie downs, third row seats, baby seat anchors, etc.) it would be just cheaper to buy an OEM part from the dealer.

Thanks for your thoughts and input! I'll let you know what we find.