Does Toyota Sell The Same Oil Filter As Lexus?

chimchim

I need to change my oil, first time doing it on the RX330, but I've done it many times on my other cars. So I look on lexus-parts.com and find these parts:

90430-12031 - Gasket Oil Drain Plug

90915-YZZD1-01 - Oil Filter - 6 Cylinder

Are these the correct ones for a 2004 Lexus RX330 4x2?

Can I get these at Toyota also? (Toyota dealer is MUCH closer to me right now than Lexus dealer)

I called the local Toyota dealer and the parts guy said that for "a V6 engine" (2004 rx330) he thinks the part is:

904-3012028 drain plug gasket $1.04

089-2202011 oil filter $4.99

I'm not sure if I can trust the info though.

I called the local Toyota dealer and the parts guy said that for "a V6 engine" (2004 rx330) he thinks the part is:

089-2202011 oil filter              $4.99

I'm not sure if I can trust the info though.

Now I called the Lexus dealer and he gave me these part numbers:

904-3012031 drain plug gasket (slight difference: ends with 31 instead of 28)

089-2202011 oil filter

"same part number for both, as long as it's a 6 cylinder" he said.

Now I'm getting conflicting info.

A same-year Toyota Highlander should run the same filter as you do. You can pick one up at your local Toyota parts counter if you prefer to stay with Toyota parts. Be aware that Purolator makes excellent oil filters as well, and they are available at many auto parts establishments.

The typical drain plug gasket will last for a number of oil changes if you don't over-torque your drain plug when replacing it after draining your current oil.

I've learned over my 35+ years of vehicle ownership to go by "feel" based upon the size of the drain plug as well as the composition of the drain plug gasket since the gaskets are designed to "crush" very slightly in order to provide for a leak-proof seal.

Maybe an RX330 owner with a shop manual can provide you with the actual torque specifications. You say you've done it many times on your other cars, so your previous experience should function well enough to guide you.

I need to change my oil, first time doing it on the RX330, but I've done it many times on my other cars. So I look on lexus-parts.com and find these parts:

Can I get these at Toyota also? (Toyota dealer is MUCH closer to me right now than Lexus dealer)

Also... I noticed that the drain plug gasket is a black hard rubber material. Now I see why they might be reusable.

I'm used to soft metal crush washers which are 1 time use.

What is it made of?

Anyways, I went to Toyota and went with these parts:

089-2202011 oil filter $4.99

The ..28 is the same size as the ..31 gasket but just "different material".

Fram makes an oil filter PH3614 for the RX330/Highlander. You can buy it at Walmart for $2.50. Changed oil/filter in mine 04 RX330, last week. Good luck.

I'm not one to recommend factory parts but the Toyota/Lexus oil filter is far better than a FRAM. FRAM is known to produce low quality oil filters (there is a lot of info out there on this and I'm not going to waste space going over it again) and I think many will agree with me on this.

Spend the $1 or $2 more dollars and get a Toyota or Purolator filter. They are of good quality, have a good anti-drainback system and are easily available.

If you buy OEM filter for better quality, take a look at the pic another member posted.

Lexus install a better filter in factory (Made in Japan). The one that is sold at Toyota/Lexus is not as good (Made in Thailand). Guess which one has synthetic filter material, better anti-drainback rubber, and stronger inlet holes design?

post-13204-1121227941_thumb.jpg