Rx400h Tires

My brother's new 400h purchased on 7/1 has Michelin tires. Some others on the dealers lot had Goodyear Eagle tires. Seemed to vary by color. His is black. All the bamboos had Goodyears. At any rate, I drove the vehicle 3 1/2 hours and was impressed with the ride of the Michelins. Normally, I don't like Michelins at all.

I'd be interested in others' impressions of the ride of their Michelins or Goodyears on the 400h.

Our Bamboo Pearl's Goodyears provide an excellent ride as well. In fact, my Corvette runs Goodyear GSD3 tires and I am very happy with the ride and handling they provide.

I just paid to put the Michelins on my ES (same model, actually the RX has the upgraded model I didnt get) and am thrilled in the difference in the ride. Fantastic tires.

Resend:

My 400h had a right drift alignment checked, but tech support also suggested to switch tires from radial Michelins to radial Goodyears which seems to have solved the problem. Goodyears seems to ride softer then Michelins

faoki, on another board someone said that their pull right was fixed by resetting the stabilizer (which I assume meant the computer that controls the handling/stablization). Apparently a number of the 400h's are having this problem.

Resend:

My 400h had a right drift alignment checked, but tech support also suggested to switch tires from radial Michelins to radial Goodyears which seems to have solved the problem.  Goodyears seems to ride softer then Michelins

If the tires are the problem and Lexus knows it, then they should put Goodyears on every 400h out there and switch the tires on already owned 400h's for free!!! :( :( Obviously, they're not going to do that. Also, in my opinion, it's rediculous for them to suggest that it's the tires but I'm not a tire expert.

Can anyone say definitively what the "stabilizer" is???

I remember when I drove my brother's 400h on the highway for 3 1/2 hours, the steering wheel was slightly off center to the right even on straight, flat road. If I tried to center the steering wheel, there was a lot of resistance. As I understand it, the power steering is electronic (no belt involved). Correct?

Our Bamboo also came with the Goodyear Eagles! After 250 miles, I took the car to a tire center and bought a lifetime rotate/balance and road hazard warranty for $136. These are not cheap tires and one loss would more than pay for the cost. Also, the tires did need balancing. Lexus is a car company... not a tire company! I was surprised that there is not a treadlife rating for these. High Performance tires! Not sure why Lexus chose to go this route!!?? <_<

Resend:

My 400h had a right drift alignment checked, but tech support also suggested to switch tires from radial Michelins to radial Goodyears which seems to have solved the problem.   Goodyears seems to ride softer then Michelins

If the tires are the problem and Lexus knows it, then they should put Goodyears on every 400h out there and switch the tires on already owned 400h's for free!!! :( :( Obviously, they're not going to do that. Also, in my opinion, it's rediculous for them to suggest that it's the tires but I'm not a tire expert.

Can anyone say definitively what the "stabilizer" is???

I remember when I drove my brother's 400h on the highway for 3 1/2 hours, the steering wheel was slightly off center to the right even on straight, flat road. If I tried to center the steering wheel, there was a lot of resistance. As I understand it, the power steering is electronic (no belt involved). Correct?

I think by stabilizer they meant the VSC (vehicle stability control) that is part of the vehicle dynamics integrated management. My understanding also is that the power steering is electronic

I would also be surprised if the switch between the tire brands helped the pull problem. Given what Roland said, perhaps the orignial set wasn't balanced properly. Or perhaps when they switched brands that also caused the VSC to reset.

Actually the rating at TireRack is quite good. Gotta take Tire Rack ratings with a grain of salt though, the mileage reported on the surveys makes new tires look better than tires that have been out a few years, which may not be the case. I had Michelin MXV4+ tires put on my ES (the predecessor to the Michelins on your RX) and the improvement over the tires that have been on the car in the past is startling. They're fantastic tires.

Actually the rating at TireRack is quite good. Gotta take Tire Rack ratings with a grain of salt though, the mileage reported on the surveys makes new tires look better than tires that have been out a few years, which may not be the case. I had Michelin MXV4+ tires put on my ES (the predecessor to the Michelins on your RX) and the improvement over the tires that have been on the car in the past is startling. They're fantastic tires.

I was referring to the Goodyears- the Michelins look better for sure.