Sw03es

a friend of mine justhooked me up with a brand new vector poisher/sander do you think i can do a good detailing job with this product? i know that all you guys speak very highly of th PC but will this do just as good of a job? the specs are :11 amps,120v-60hz,7" polishing pad,6 speed low 1000-high 3000 if this is good how can i find those pads that will fit it that you talk about in your post?

Thats a rotary polisher, be VERY careful with that. Rotary polishers are professional grade and you can (and will when inexperienced) burn right through the paint to the metal with one of those things.

Its an excellent tool (better than a PC) IN THE RIGHT HANDS, detailers go through extensive training and practice for hours to properly learn how to use a rotary. I would not use that on your car.

I agree it can burn paint and i have years ago.

Easiest advice is to turn the speed down (my milwakee has an adjustable setting)

If not then i would definatly not use it until you practice on a friends POS car first.

Thats a rotary polisher, be VERY careful with that. Rotary polishers are professional grade and you can (and will when inexperienced) burn right through the paint to the metal with one of those things.

Its an excellent tool (better than a PC) IN THE RIGHT HANDS, detailers go through extensive training and practice for hours to properly learn how to use a rotary. I would not use that on your car.

thats a good look i guess ill put it up until i can learn to use it properly is that something that you learn to use by trial and error or is there some kind of class the reason that i ask is because i trained to become an auto mechanic (main reason being all of the money ive spent over the years taking my vehicles to shops) and i hate to pay for something that i can do myself i also have plans to start a detailing business once i move down to georgia thats real big business down that way all of this is at least a year away but im preparing myself now. all these years i thought i was doing something when i was washing and waxingb my cars but after ive read through your posts i was probably doing more harm than good

I agree it can burn paint  and i have years ago.

Easiest advice is to turn the speed down (my milwakee has an adjustable setting)

If not then i would definatly not use it until you practice on a friends POS car first.

the lowest setting is 1000rpm is there any danger of doing damage in that range? ive used orbital buffers before is it that much more difficult? ill definitely find a friend with a POS car

At 1000 RPM? You can definately still burn paint. They're totally different than an orbital, the movement is totally different.

Its partly a trial and error thing and partly a learning thing.

At 1000 RPM? You can definately still burn paint. They're totally different than an orbital, the movement is totally different.

Its partly a trial and error thing and partly a learning thing.

i get your point fellas one more question does this have anything to do with the amount of pressure that you apply?

pressure = burnt paint

It basically comes down to making sure you do not angle the pads into the paint

Not going too fast causing heat

or pressing down hard

Once you create heat it strips off layers faster including paint

The point I'm trying to make is just all around you don't want to use it until you're confident that you can use it properly. Your LS has really soft paint, and I know you've had some problems with the finish on the hood before.