97 Ls Tune & Timing Belt Time (metro Detroit)

sgretchko

My beloved 97 LS needs a tune-up and timing belt replacement. I would like to find a good independent mechanic in my area to perform the work. Trouble is, the shops all refer me back to metro Detroit Lexus dealer and I don't want to pay dealer price.

Is there something so difficult about this work that the dealer has special equipment, training, etc? Based on what I read in this forum, others seem to find viable alternatives. I suspect the local mechanics are merely unfamiliar but not unable. In addition, I have factory service manuals that they can refer to.

Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated, particularly on a good mechanic in metro Detroit, Toledo, Lansing, etc. Thank you.

Hi sgretchko,

I did my own timing belt, for the first time, myself, last year on a 1991 Ls400. I found that the car is easy to work on, just time consuming, lots of parts to take off, hidden bolts to find and some hard to reach areas. So it is more of a tedious job and time consuming. I can see why it cost so much for the labor. As far as the tune-up, about all you have to do is change spark plugs and air filter.

Daffy

Two local mechanics state the job will cost about 400 bucks.. There is nothing special about LEXUS doing it, but the 1000 bucks more you will spend..

The job is hard and tedious for one to do it themselves, but if your into spending all day working with your car have fun!

Cheers to LEXUS