Agreed. Clunk Is Minor, But 4runner Has No Clunk..

I thought the underpinnings of these two vehicles was exactly the same part for part??

I have extensively test driven 3 4Runners and 2 GX470's and both 470's clunked and the 4Runners didn't.

I owned a Grand Cherokee that did this back in 98' and I had to dump the thing, couldn't handle the bump feeling any longer.

I guess I'm going to wait.

Thanks everyone for your input. :cheers:

I thought the underpinnings of these two vehicles was exactly the same part for part??

I have extensively test driven 3 4Runners and 2 GX470's and both 470's clunked and the 4Runners didn't.

I owned a Grand Cherokee that did this back in 98' and I had to dump the thing, couldn't handle the bump feeling any longer.

Thanks everyone for your input.:cheers:

Actually, I work with 2 people who have 4 runners and they both clunk in the same fashion, they warned me about it before I bought the GX 470, also have a friend who owns a Sequoia and it also has the Clunk.

Wow, I didn't know that.

The 4Runners I drove didn't. Of course it was only 8 maybe 10 miles.

Actually, I work with 2 people who have 4 runners and they both clunk in the same fashion, they warned me about it before I bought the GX 470, also have a friend who owns a Sequoia and it also has the Clunk.

i think the 4runner would have the clunk because they have the same components of the GX. now i dunno about the dimensions of the engine if they are the same as the GX, but i've heard that 4runners get the clunk too. :huh:

• 2 weeks later...
i think the 4runner would have the clunk because they have the same components of the GX. now i dunno about the dimensions of the engine if they are the same as the GX, but i've heard that 4runners get the clunk too.  :huh:

I have a 05 4Runner V8 limited. The v8 comes with the full time AWD, unlike the v6 version. Just had it in for 15K service and guess what? Yeah, same ole clunk, and same ole story. Toyota is looking into it and will get back to me. Just don't pull too close to the intersection with your foot lightly on the brake, or you might just get a bigger "klunk" from another vehicle!

What about the Lexus LX 470. I thought that had the same power train as the GX 470. My GX470 is going next year and its going beacuase of the clunk. I was going to look at the LX but I have been "tucked up" once by Lexus for $50,000, I dont want to spend $60+k and have the same problem. Any input. Thanks. Rgds.

• 3 months later...

I had a 98 Grand Cherokee too, but it didn't have the cluck, but had every other problem known to man. I have a 05 GX now and I experience the cluck once a while but it is so slight that it doesn't bother me at all. With or without the cluck, the GX is still the best SUV or car I have ever owned.

• 2 weeks later...

There are several forums for the Sequoia and the 4Runner that mention this "clunk" as well. I read some posts that date back to the 90's.

I did learn that the issue you all describe is known as "axle wrap" and is a very common and normal issue with 4-wheel drive drivetrains. There are things that can be done to reduce its effects, but it's not a malfunction of the driveline.