Lojack

JuStRx300

Hi everybody. I'm 24, female, and currently own a 1998 Toyota 4runner, and want to move up to something a bit nicer. For the past few months i have been doing some research to decide what my next car should be, and "I" have decided on the Rx300. My boyfriend wants me to get a BMW :chairshot: . My toyota has 125,000 miles and is still in perfect condition, so want to stay with toyota; Lexus. I have been to EVERY single lexus dealer in Mass and finally today landed at Lexus of Norwood.

The car is on this website: http://www.lexusofnorwood.com/index.html

I test drove a blue 2001 Rx300. It had 45,304 miles, and was in great condition as i could tell. I have decided that this was the car for me.

As we started the price war (their sticker price:$29,863) i got them down to $29,560 with 2 new tires in the front!! Don't ask me why the $60; ask them.

As we were almost finished, he asked me if i wanted Lojack installed. I told him that i would sleep on it and talk to him in the morning.

Should i get this Lojack? Does a Lexus need it? I don't live in a dangerous neighborhood!!

Thank you very much,

Justine

people dont go to dangerous neighborhoods to steal cars. probably the break on insurance will pay for some of it. definitely better to get an aftermarket alarm with a motion detector/glass sensor installed instead. That way if some one messes with your car or your lights ,the alarm will sound. The factory alarm is not set off unless someone opens the door. They can climb thru the window and live in there for a month without sounding anything. A glass sensor will stop that. Your Lexus has an ignition cutoff so its hard to steal w/out a key. Thats why I would stay away from lo-jack. other then that lo-jack is great.

Most thieves now will steal a car and leave it unharmed in a large public lot {usually longterm parking at the airport} They comeback 48 hrs later and if its still there it probably doesnt have lo-jack, they then take it to a chop shop.

I have two thoughts on this -- neither is based on any real facts, just opinions.

1) Almost anything that a dealer recommends is intended to make them money. Most things dealers recommend can be acquired elsewhere for less. If you decide to get lojack, I'd check around first to see wat others charge.

2) My thought on lojack is that it mostly benefits insurance companies. If your insurance company reduces your fees enough to cover lojack, then as a break-even, its worth it. If it comes out of your pocket, I'd forget it. I'm guessing lojack has an up-front charge PLUS a monthly charge, and chances are you'd never use it anyway.

As was said earlier, I'd spend the money on a better alarm system. And that can be done at any time -- doesn't have to be done now.

Just my thoughts.

I actually was in the same situation about 3 months ago when i first bought my 01 rx300. i kinda regret buying this option. two reasons:

1. i have full coverage insurance (state farm....which also doesnt give me any discounts for lojack)

2. lexus cars require a laser cut key that has a chip inside for it to start up. a key isnt enough. the chip in the key has to be programed. (however, i dont have much knowledge of this aspect and how easy it would be to steal an rx without the original keys.)

if i could do it over again, i would not have bought this.

You spent $29,560 for a 2001 with 45,000 miles?? Did you look around, i just bought a 2003 rx the same color as yours with navigation for $30,000.

Well about the lokack, i personally think it's a scam. If they want your car, they're gonna get it somehow.

All lojack is, is a tracking device. Police have to have their cars in the area of the car to track it. It's not like a satelite.

And i don't think it's a monthly fee. You pay a price upfront TO THE DEALER. I don't think it can be installed anywhere else.

I really hate it when dealerships rip people off :censored:

There are two versions of Lojack. The cheaper ($600-$700) requires that you notify the police before it can be activated and tracked. The second, at $900-$1000 senses when the vehicle is moved without the ignition key being in the vicinity and is automatically activated immediately.

There is also another tracking device that allows you to not only track your vehicle online, but you can also disable your vehicle after it is shut down (can't be started again). This device is about $1000.

What most people dont know is any car with navigation can be found by the police already, so lojack becomes less useful.

Is it a scam? No. Is it designed to make money for the dealer? Sure. Can you buy it elsewhere? Yes. Does it cost the same? Probably.

When I bought my car they also offered me the LoJack for a one-time fee of around $650. I decided to pass for several reasons of my own.

First, I've see those Scariest Police Chase videos, and they're almost always stolen cars. You might get your car back okay since some theives leave the cars in a parking lot for a few days to see if it has a LoJack, but the kids probably won't think that far ahead. Anyhow, personally I would rather I get reumbursed from the insurance company over getting my car back after it's been in a 100+ MPH pursuit.

Second, many deals already put tracking devices in cars, but they're usually for "credit risk" customers. My feeling is that in this day all cars should be equipped with some kind of tracking device by the manufacturer. All they have to do is give people the option of disabling the tracking device (for those who don't want people to know where they are). I have a problem with paying money for something that should be standard equipment.

My advice would be to get a club for times when you're parking in "questionable" areas. Even The Club isn't 100%, but it's enough to deter the novice criminals.

DJ

Lojack is a fine tracker, but it is old. It was good in the early 80's, but today, is obsolete. The thing that makes lojack different from a satelite locator or gpd system, is that it takes THREE police cars to track your car in a triangle pattern. So your police dept needs to have three cars in your area (with lojack equipment) respond to find your car. One can't do it alone. In my opinion, it is not worth the money.

Bob

I have decided not to get the lojack. Actually, I have decided not to get that rx300. I took another look at it, and the price and decided to wait longer for a better deal. Thank you for your responses, I to agree its a scam.

• 2 weeks later...