Factory Tires

cudasub

I have a 2004 330 with 27,000 mi on the factory Goodyears. They have to be replaced due to wear. No suspension problems or traction. Just wearing out. My local tire store said they have had other similar wear problems on these type tires not just on Lexus. Any info out there?

Historically, front wheel drive cars owners who wish to obtain maximum tread life have needed to rotate their tires approx. every 5000 miles and rebalance every 15,000 miles. It's also a good strategy for rear wheel drive cars although isn't quite as critical.

ahhh i know!!! i had to replace all four tires at my 30K service for my RX330. Cost me over a grand to do it. People are telling me that there should be a time limit where they would refund you if it wears too fast but according to the owners manual, it lasts for one year.

That's nothing - I had to replace my Corvette's rear tires at 16,000 miles. I also replaced the fronts, all four for a cool $1100. High performance tires don't wear well, but the DO stick well and that's the tradeoff that most high-end vehicle owners must accept to some degree.

ahhh i know!!! i had to replace all four tires at my 30K service for my RX330. Cost me over a grand to do it. People are telling me that there should be a time limit where they would refund you if it wears too fast but according to the owners manual, it lasts for one year.

Instead of buying from the dealer, next time you can buy from tirerack.com (or other discount tire store) and save at least a couple hundred bucks. The Goodyear OEM is going for $179 each, add on shipping and installation, should still come out less than $250 per tire.

:(

I just ordered replacement Michelins (235/55R18) for my wife's '04 RX330 after only 16500 miles on the original Goodyears. Granted, I have kept the tire pressure @ 30-32 psi in order to have a smoother ride and most of the driving is locally in a hilly and curvey road area. I have had the same problems with Lexus OEM tires on ES300s. They make the rubber compound soft to help with a smoother ride, I guess. I have bought Michelin replacements before with great success.

I ordered from Discount Tire Direct for a total of $660. Of course I will have to pay $60 to have them mounted and balanced.

All the Lexus factory tires are horrible.

not necessarily. :huh: i admit that the RX300 tires (Goodyear) had very short life. I changed mine at 25k miles.

Now here's the thing, my GX has factory Michelin Cross Terrains, and they are not even close to half life and i've been using it for 32k miles. So Michelins are really good in longer thread life than the Goodyears.

Those replacing RX300 tires, go for Cross Terrains. Even though there was an article back several months ago about some problem with it (don't remember what it was) but personally, it's a great tire. They're available for order at most tire stores. ;)