93 Sc400 Cd Changer--error Message

Hi. I have a 93 SC400. My radio is working but my cd changer cannot play anything. Every cd I put in gives me an error message. Does anyone know what's wrong? Is there an aftermarket cd changer I can buy if I can't fix it?

Thanks.

Hi. I have a 93 SC400.  My radio is working but my cd changer cannot play anything.  Every cd I put in gives me an error message.  Does anyone know what's wrong?  Is there an aftermarket cd changer I can buy if I can't fix it?

Thanks.

You have the 12 disc changer and when they go there are no more parts available to repair it with. The option is upgrading to a pioneer 6 disc from a es300. I have sold many of these and they work perfect [ plug and play ] so if you don't go aftermarket I have a 6 disc pioneer for you. :cheers:

I was able to get my 12-disc changer working again by thoroughly cleaning the pinch rollers and treating them with Vinylex (like Armor-All, but safer for rubber). I was getting error messages as well, turns out the rollers were too dried up to grip the CD well enough to pull it in and push it back out.

sluggo

• 1 year later...

Sorry to bump a 2 year old thread but the one in my '95 SC300 seems to have broken completely. Grinds and locks up. It finally ejected the magazine but refuses to even lock it in anymore. Is there an aftermarket changer that will work with the stock deck?

Honestly, for the prices they charge I could get an Eclipse single disc head unit, that would completely blow away any kind of sound quality that I could get from the stock deck/changers. Not to mention it would be brand new versus a refurb. I have had very mixed results with refurbs so unless it saves me a ton of money over a new product I don't buy them. Didn't realize that the 12 disc changer was a Panasonic. I really could care less about having a disc changer, I just wanted to see if there was anyway I could keep the stock head unit.

thats the problem. even if you did go with the eclipse you would just have a dumb looking deck in your car. i really wish deck makers made more stock looking decks however that might look...

I wouldn't be so sure about that. I'm not doing the job myself, but the folks who are doing it will custom fit it to make it look as stock as possible (ie custom faceplate, ect). I ended up going with a Clarion head unit. This is the model:

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/Pr...ProductID=17447

When all was said and done, I just couldn't justify trying to rehash a 12 year old piece of audio equipment, even if it is made by Nakamichi. That and I really miss being able to swap out discs without having to pull my car over and open the trunk. Yeah, having 12 discs at once did reduce the need, but there are still times where I want to listen to more than just whatever I have in the magazine. In addition, it will be nice to have a player that doesn't skip at every other bump in the road, or one that doesn't mind reading through a disc with a couple of scratches on it. Even if I replaced the changer with a refurb or one of the changers from the ES300 it would still have these issues. I will put up with the slight blemish in my dash to gain the functionality of a nice brand new aftermarket deck.

they sell refurbished ones or you can use the more reliable es300 one.

If you go the route of ES300 changer... Check this thread out for pics of my install. Hope it helps!

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...showtopic=36653

Just out of curiousity do you know if the ES300 changer will play burrned CD's? My stock CD changer wasn't able to play burned CD's (sometimes not even storebought CD's either.... I think it just had a mind of its own). I have an extra headunit lying around the house just in case I take that route seeing as I'm fixing some of my other stuff as well.